 Technic / 14284
Re: 8421 first impressions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 19 Jun 2005 13:41:27 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Thomas D. Fulk, Jr. wrote:
In lugnet.technic, John Barnes wrote:
Well, I just finished building this set and all I can say is WOW!!

This supplants the space shuttle set as the ultimate technic building set in my
humble opinion.

The whole body section of the vehicle is chocked full of mechanisms. There's
pneumatics, electric motor drive using the newer buggy motor and a delightful
mix of studded and smooth technic beams.

If you are a Technic fan, this set is a must.

I had the chance to meet the set designer during the Lego Inside Tour a month
ago. He was proud of the set design, and since I hadn't seen it yet, I had to
rely on seeing only the final model which he showed us, to try to judge exactly
what I was looking at. The fact of the matter is, I think he was justifiably
proud, after I've now had the chance to actually build it. Twiddling with the
controls on a compeleted model doesn't really give a good impression of the
sophistication of the inner workings.

Thumbs up from this Technic fan.

JB

    I just finished mine as well.  It is quite an incredible set to build and
operate.  I like how the cable spools itself in and out with the boom
extension/retract though sometimes one seems to outrun the other.  With the boom
up and extended I must say the set looks quite impressive.  I don't think the
cherry picker is going to be quite as cool as the crane, I'll rebuild in a week
or 2 and see for myself.  I had roughly 7 hours build time from start to finish.
3 hours base chassis, 1 hour for the cab, 1.5 hour for the superstructure and
1.5 hour for the boom.  Had this set not been presorted into numbered bags I
have a feeling I would have spent more time looking for parts.  My ziploc
containers were never overly full so for once I never got frustrated looking for
pieces.
  I hope more of these giant sets are in the future of Technic!

I also have finished this set and I also like the boom extension, but the main
problems for me seem to be that the boom extension doesn't move smoothly, and
the outriggers follow the same pattern as the ones from earlier sets (8862,
8460). That aside, I like how a switch is used to set up the motor for either
the string/boom extension, or just the string. This however, does have its own
problems, as one of you already noted. Halfway when the boom is extended, the
switch has to be turned back to the string mode, so the string can be pulled up,
then the boom can be extended (this might be just mine alone, though).
Also, I noticed that on this model, the crane uses a big gear at the back to
allow for steering. Is lego changing its steering mechanism from being the light
on top?