 Technic / 13275
13274  |  13276
Subject:
Lego RC set 8369
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:19:50 GMT

Someone asked me a nice question about the Dirt Crusher, LEGOs outdoor RC
car.
This what I replied to this person:
What are other people experiencing with this car?

Greetings
    Maico Arts
    the Netherlands

I 've got a few questions regarding this set, from your opinion, is this
set really worth the money on a long term RC set compared to brands such as
Traxxas, Nikko, Tamiya etc.

For me it was the opportunity to combine my LEGO hobby with a very long
interest in the RC hobby. I believe this set is worth its money, but you
might try to get one in discount when possible. When I talk about prices in
this email, please be aware that these prices are aproximate and over here
in the Netherlands

How about its expandibilty. Will one easily get bored after playing the
set after some time. Moreover, how does this set compare in terms of
performance such as speed, functionality with other RC models in the market
such as Traxxas E-Masx and other Nitro powered models? By the way is this
set a 4wd? I know one can increase the playing duration of the RC car by
switching the battery to a 3000mAh one, but can its transmitting range be
further increased or improved from a mere pathetic 10m as what many users
have previously stated on line?

How is an rc set expandible? other bateries, other engine or electro motor?

The Dirt Crusher has a rear axle as one piece. You connect it to the chassis
(the receiver) using some flexible parts and one shock absorber. The shock
absorbers just by LEGO are adjustable in length and stiffness.

The front axle is also one piece, connected to the receiver with sturdy
pieces. It has independant suspension with one shock absorber connecting the
left and right wheel. Both axles are connected with a wire to the receiver
to get power or steering signal. There are no servos or anything like that.

Playing duration can indeed be extended by using highpower batteries. The
factory delivered battery is a 1500 mAh NiMH battery. On a smooth surface
you can play around for about half an hour. When driving in sand or a muddy
underground, the playing time will shorten very much due to higher
powerconsumption ofcourse.

The Dirt Crusher has no problem driving in sand, mud or even water. The
battery compartiment is not water tight sealed, but it is no problem when it
gets wet. Don't use the Dirt Crusher as a submarine (don't try to drive it
completely under water)

If your Dirt Crusher is too dirty, then you can clean it under a shower.
That is no problem.

One big advantage of the Dirt Crusher is that it is made of LEGO. I mean to
say that you can use normal LEGO, especially Technic, to connect to the
receiver of the Dirt Crusher. So you can make anything you like with the
Dirt Crusher.

I have two Dirt Crushers. for the second time now i made a 4 axle truck: 2
steering axles in front, 2 driven axles in the back. You have to use 2
receivers to get this going, so yuor truck is driven with 2 batteries! It
does not give you more speed, but it does give you more power.

Next time when I don't want to drive with the truck, I can easily break down
the truck and build up the two Dirt Crushers to be able to race with these
two Dirt Crushers against someone else. Try this with two normal RC cars...

Reach is 10meters? Not quite true. The reach is about 25 meters, ofcourse
depending on the quality of the 9 volt battery in the transmitter and the
interference of other devices functioning on 27 MHz.

The transmitters used with regular RC's are stronger and will push the LEGO
transmitter down, thus decreasing your reach.

The Dirt Crusher is not a 4-wheel drive car. I wish it was, but then again
you should learn to drive with a 2 wheel drive. The Dirt Crusher can be
build in several ways with different configrations. Not possible with
regular RC cars.

Nitro engine? Other electric motor? Not possible.
The speed of the Dirt Crusher is about 20 kmh.
Bear in mind, the Dirt Crusher is designed for kids of 8 or 9 years old. I
believe you have to be older to be able to build and use a similar RC like
the makes you named. For kids of this age, speeds of 60 kmh with nitro
powered cars is way too fast for them.

If you want to compare these RC cars with the LEGO one, the LEGO one will
loose about any comparison except for the diversity. You can build this
vehicle any which way you can think of.

Another thing about transmitters and receivers. As I said above, the regular
transmitters are better and pushing away the LEGO transmitter. An advantage
for LEGO is that with this transmitter you can choose one out of three
frequencies to drive your vehicle. All this without changing any christals
in you transmitter and receiver! The LEGO transmitters are in the 27 MHz
range as most of the RC cars are. The exact frequency I don't know...

I am a LEGO Technic fan and collector and thus am very pleased with this
Dirt Crusher. If possible, just go to a LEGO exhibit where they are racing
with Dirt Crushers. Try to feel the excitement...

Greetings
    Maico Arts