 Technic / 14106
Re: Lego RC set 8369
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 29 Apr 2005 08:12:10 GMT

Hello Tommy,

I've tried it now and it didn't work well, perhaps i got carried away too.
Anyways i figured that a model powered by the motorpack from DC with the wheels
from 8466 would be really cool, at least on paper. I built a frame to support
the motor using regular beams mostly and a front end consisting of the steering
and reciver from DC built just as in DC. Then i connected the 2 parts (front end
and back end with motor.

This I haven't tried yet: using a DC to power Technic wheels

The wheels was of course geared down though i don't know how much since the math
temporarly escaped me, maybe 1.75. The power was transfered from the motor using
a large gearwheel as you described then via a differential linked the the
boogies. I thought boogies would be best since there was no room for a second
driveshaft. The axle that went into the boogies had an 24t crown on it which
turned a 8t connected to a second 8t which turned another 24 on the wheelaxle.
This meant that the boogies weren't gearing anything just tranfering power.

DC motors are quite strong, btw: both sides have their own motor.
Inside this motor there is some gearing which id defenitly stronger that
the regular technic is. Having seen that tells me it won't be easy to
use the DC to power Technic wheels.

This is when the problems started, As you can imagine this was quite a big thing
which was really heavy. Upon starting the motor i noticed that the model wasn't
moving. It turned out to be the crowngears in the boogies not gripping hold of
the pinions even though they were at the right distans. So i removed the
boogies, put longer axels on the differential and turned on the motor again.

I think the technic gears get to much rpm with too much torque, which
they can't handle. You could try to gear down the DC with the paddles on
the remote control. Ever tried that with a normally build DC? It does
have three gears. Or speed levels I would call it.

Now the gears inside the diff skipped. Of with diff, in with 24t gear. Now the
8t gear trying to turn the 24t gear skipped. :( This is when i decided to cancel
the project. Perhaps one day i'll rebuild something like this with lots of more
gearing but that'll take some time.  For now i'm planning of turning DC into a
tank by putting regular pieces on it and build a turret. Still working on gun
though.

Driving around would be fun!

BTW, this summer their will be more colors available for exterior
building and for the wheels.
Some new parts are added to this set too!
I will put up some pics when I get time for this to do.

I could have succeeded if i just had put more gearing into it but i wanted speed
as well. Unfortanly though the motor was up to it, the gears weren't.

More gearing might do the trick when doubbling the setup.
this is the idea:

first axle: 24th
2 secondary axles: 24th
these axles both drive a next axle with 8th to 24th or even larger: 16th
to 50th. 8th gear can't handle much power.

I could try to make an mlcad schema if you wish. Drop me a private email
  if you wish.

Greetigns
   Maico Arts