 Technic / 10235
Re: drawbridge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 02:53:30 GMT

Has anyone tried using a single motor, and putting the motor in the
span? I know it isn't prototypical, but if the motor was in the span,
and the string/chain was drawn into the span by a single motor, then the
span would pull itself up evenly. This was just a thought, I haven't
tried it.

I used a single motor, with all cables being passed above the top of the span
to get to the far side (4 cables).  One trick that I would do if I was building
another one is to make the cable drums easier to adjust to one another, since
they tend to get out of sinc even with just a single motor driving them.  (rope
would wind unevenly).

I found that this system worked OK with a 5.5 track segment bridge.  I'd be
tempted to try counterweighting a larger bridge, to make it a bit easier on the
motor for lift force.  Mine was not counterweighted, and put a fair strain on
the motor (a geared motor).  After motor reduction was 24:1 via worm, which is
very useful for the self locking if nothing else.

James Powell