 Technic / 10236
Re: Vertical lift spans (was: Re: drawbridge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 02:53:00 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Steven Lane writes:

Ok, here's my idea for a solution for a vertically lifting bridge.

All you need is one winch connected to one lifting line. You also need one
control line(running off the same motor but geared down 2:1).

The lifting line goes up the first tower down to the lift span, turns 90
degree's around a free running pulley, across the span, round another pulley
and up the other span where it goes over two more pulleys and then goes back
to the winch via a mirror image route back to a second winch drum on the
same winch axle.

OK, this is similar, but first take a walk down to the local auto repair
shop and see if you can look at a 'cats cradle' type auto hoist.

Here is my description.  It involves one string to lift one end of the span
and another string, which is fixed at each end, to keep the span level.

Rig a line with pullies or whatever to lift ONE end of the span.
Fasten another line to the foot of the tower at this same end, run this line
up to the span and OVER a pulley fixed to the span, continue the line across
the span and UNDER a pulley on the other end of the span, fasten the line to
the top of the second tower.  The string follows a sort of laying-down 'Z'
path from the bottom of one tower to the top of the other, there is now
winching or winding required on this second string.

As the end lifts an equal amount of line is drawn across the span and lifts
the other end of the span.

This configuration avoids a lot of problems with trying to match winch drums
etc and does not need an excessive amount of string.  Lego string is so hard
to find nowadays!!! It might be difficult to get a string that does not
cause problems with stretching etc, maybe metal fishing trace could be worth
consideration, or how about guitar strings?