 Technic / 10212
Re: drawbridge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 12:45:20 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Bob Kojima writes:
i will be showing this at a talent show on may 10th.  i just finished it
yesterday.  it was such a nice day outside and i don't really have a flat
surface long enough to set it up in my house, so i set it up outside.  i
made this bridge from pictures of the real bridge and a little inspiration
from TJ Avery.  the hawthorne bridge is about a mile away from my office so
i spent a lot of time just looking at it.

I hope my bridge design spreadsheet worked okay for you. Your trusses look
good! Nice work. Very nice!

you are right about synchronizing the motors.  one of the motors runs
faster than the other.  i made the string a little longer on one side. so
when the bridge starts to go up it is a little lopsided, but by the time it
reaches the top it evens out.  not a very good solution but it works.

I've hit a similar problem in planning out a crane. I've contemplated using
two separate winches to lift the main hoist, but just like your drawbridge,
one side can lift faster than the other. This depends on individual motor
speed and the specific diameter on the winch drum (which varies as string is
winched in or out).

I'm not sure how to solve this effectively. The simplest way is to control
each side independently, but that adds a lot of controls the user has to
manage. You could use a RCX and two rotation sensors to keep the amount of
string let out equal on both sides. But I've yet to try this.

-TJ