 Technic / 10215
Re: drawbridge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 14:31:01 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Thomas Avery writes:
In lugnet.technic, Bob Kojima writes:

you are right about synchronizing the motors.  one of the motors runs
faster than the other.  i made the string a little longer on one side. so
when the bridge starts to go up it is a little lopsided, but by the time it
reaches the top it evens out.  not a very good solution but it works.

I've hit a similar problem in planning out a crane. I've contemplated using
two separate winches to lift the main hoist, but just like your drawbridge,
one side can lift faster than the other. This depends on individual motor
speed and the specific diameter on the winch drum (which varies as string is
winched in or out).

I'm not sure how to solve this effectively. The simplest way is to control
each side independently, but that adds a lot of controls the user has to
manage. You could use a RCX and two rotation sensors to keep the amount of
string let out equal on both sides. But I've yet to try this.

In my view one of the simpler ways is to shaft connect the two motors if you
can... You can hide it if you have the sort of lift bridge that has an upper
connection between the two towers. It may not always work though.