 Star Wars / 6837
Re: Obi Wan Kenobi Training Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 01:15:57 GMT

I think you disproved yourself in your own message. If you look at the
bottom of the transcript you posted....

"YODA: He is too old. Yes, too old to begin the training."

From: Jeff Johnston <sakura@mediaone.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 01:13:16 GMT
To: lugnet.starwars@lugnet.com
Subject: Re: Obi Wan Kenobi Training Question

Actually, no.  Ben says that he was reckless (like Luke's father) and full of
anger (like Luke's father), but never too old.

CREATURE: (irritated) I cannot teach him. The boy has no patience.

Luke's head spins in the direction the creature faces. But
there is no one there. The boy is bewildered, but it gradually
dawns on him that the little creature is Yoda, the Jedi
Master, and that he is speaking with Ben.

BEN'S VOICE: He will learn patience.

YODA: Hmmm. Much anger in him, like his father.

BEN'S VOICE: Was I any different when you taught me?

YODA: Hah. He is not ready.

LUKE: Yoda! I am ready. I...Ben! I can be a Jedi. Ben, tell him I'm
ready.

Trying to see Ben, Luke starts to get up but hits his head
on the low ceiling.

YODA: Ready, are you? What know you of ready? For eight hundred years
have I trained Jedi. My own counsel will I keep on who is to be
trained! A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the most serious
mind. (to the invisible Ben, indicating Luke) This one a long time
have I watched. Never his mind on where he was. Hmm? What he was
doing. Hmph. Adventure. Heh! Excitement. Heh! A Jedi craves not these
things. (turning to Luke) You are reckless!

Luke looks down. He knows it is true.

BEN'S VOICE: So was I, if you'll remember.

YODA: He is too old. Yes, too old to begin the training.

Luke thinks he detects a subtle softening in Yoda's voice.

LUKE: But I've learned so much.