 Star Wars / 6831
Re: Obi Wan Kenobi Training Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 15:42:48 GMT

You are right on this there are two distinct views of "theory/training" on the
force.  SW: TPM Eposide 1 book goes into them in much greater detail than the
movie.  But the basics are the following (if I remember corrclty)

Yoda and the majoritry of the jedi believe:

That students should concenrate on the force as a tool to help all individuals.
They should look at what their actions might do to the future and pick the best
action that will have the best future

Qui-Qon (and perhpas few other jedi)
see the force as a "living guide".  Help all life evolve, because life breaths
the force so thus you are helping the force.  besides one never knows when a
type of life you help will help you back.  (ex. Qui-Qun helped Gungan and later
Gungan helps Qui-qan with big army deversion at Naboo battle)

Read the book.  You get a lot of more character development and a lot of little
insights that the movie just can not give you.

In lugnet.starwars, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Scott Edward Sanburn writes:

Obi Wan constantly referred to
Yoda training him in the classic series, especially the Empire Strikes Back.
However, Episode 1 revealed that Qui Jonn Jinn actually trained him. Is
there any reference to this in the books or anything, or is this just a
glaring contradiction? Any information would be beneficial.

One of the first bits of dialogue in Episode I is about the difference between
Qui-Gon and Yoda's training (well, their views on the Force). I can't remember
all of the lines exactly, but Qui-Gon says something about focusing on the
present, and Obi-Wan says, "But Master Yoda always said to be mindful of the
future."  Qui-Gon says something about not doing so at the expense of the
present, and to tune into the "living Force" (which I assume means as opposed
to trying to use it to view the future).

Anyway, it pretty clearly shows that Obi-Wan was trained by Yoda before
Qui-Gon.

eric