 Star Wars / 4583
Re: What is pictured in the inset by the MF on page 8?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 08:36:26 GMT

"John VanZwieten" <john_vanzwieten@email.msn.com> writes:

A gem is what it should have been--and an expensive gem.  The MF
should be the SW answer to the Supercar, _the_ model for "wowing"
people.

I agree with that.  However, it looks like they chose the Tie Fighter
and the X-Wing instead for the "wow" effect.  (I'm refering to the
"collector's items, new for 2000.)  No wonder, really, as the Tie
Fighter and the X-Wing are much more "sleek", with rather thin
structures.

Had the MF been made to the same size (not scale) as the X-Wing or the
Tie Fighter in the 2000 collector's series, it would have take much,
much more bricks to build it.  It would have been unsellable.

Scaling down the MF is probably the only way to make a product that will
sell.  But this also means that they couldn't make the cockpit wide
enought to accomodate two figures, for example, as it would have looked
too out of scale.

I've been thinking about access to the interior.  Since the side
corridors and fore/aft plates are hinged off the central top section,
how could they allow direct access to the central interior?  If the
central roof doesn't come off, I can't really see putting minifigs in
there from the sides.

Looking at the images, I would say that the central top section, the
dark grey one, may be hinged or come off in some way.  It looks like
these plates are offset a bit upwards, which may be to make room for a
hinge.

    http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/catalogs/2000/c00am-100dpi/c00am-12a.html

A construction like this seems natural to me, as it would allow easy
access to the interior.

On the other hand, the MF is made to play with, so I suppose it is made
so that it can be held upside down, for example, without the top section
falling off.  So perhaps they use those rigid click hinges for the top
section?

Or perhaps there is a mechanism so that when both the side
entrances/escape pods/whatever are in place, the roof is locked tight,
while removing the side thingeys unlocks it?

I almost feel an urge to build an MF myself now, having thought about it
for a while.  Gotta stop!  ;-)

Fredrik