 Star Wars / 4579
Re: What is pictured in the inset by the MF on page 8?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 22:52:18 GMT

Fredrik Glöckner <fredrik.glockner@bio.uio.no> wrote in message
Steve Bliss <blisses@worldnet.att.net> writes:

In other words, people can't be able to see the insides when they buy
the set, so having a cool interior doesn't sell more sets, so why
should LC put more money into the interior?

From LC's point of view, the MF is probably like a gem which is supposed
to "sell" more Star Wars sets.  I mean, this is, like, everybody's
favourite Star Wars vehicle.  It's probably going to include Luke, Han
Solo and Princess Leia (this is just speculations, of course), being
some of the most important characters in the Star Wars story, and you're
saying that it will not have much of an interior?  Come on!

A gem is what it should have been--and an expensive gem.  The MF should be the
SW answer to the Supercar, _the_ model for "wowing" people.  Instead, it looks
like LC went for a minimalist approach, probably to keep the cost down and
maximize playability.

I still think the MF will have detailed interiors.  What looks like two
opening doors or escape pods (or both) on either side of the MF, I
believe are partly there to increase the access to the interior of the
vehicle, making it more playable.  Such a large vehicle could otherwise
have been very difficult to access the interiors of.  Just ask some of
the people who have made outstanding minifig scale MF's on the net!

I've been thinking about access to the interior.  Since the side corridors and
fore/aft plates are hinged off the central top section, how could they allow
direct access to the central interior?  If the central roof doesn't come off,
I can't really see putting minifigs in there from the sides.  That would leave
the area under the side corridors and fore/aft plates (and maybe a coulple
studs into the central area) as the only area where they could add interior
detail.

Perhaps the whole top half of the saucer is held on with magnets, ala the UFO
Alien Avenger.

Maybe LC just didn't want to show the MF with the hatches open after getting
panned for the box of the Sith Infiltrator :)

-John Van