 Star Wars / 13371
Re: Amidala and the mass-murdering sociopath
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sat, 1 Jun 2002 20:50:29 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Ahui Herrera writes:

But Luke FAILED in the cave because of his FEAR.  He feared the encounter
with vader.  Anakin failed at the camp becuase of his ANGER.  He was anger
for his mother's death.  These are NOT the same, so I disagree that they are
parallel.

Hasn't the close link between fear and anger been explained in the series?

Besides, Luke's true failure comes before he even enters the cave.  Yoda tells
him not to bring the lightsaber into the cave- because all that is in the cave
is what he brings with him.  The lightsaber is clearly a symbol of aggression.
And it is that aggression that was the failure of both Anakin and Luke.

But Slave I was carrying Liea's LOVE (frozen Han).  Amidala was just firing
at Dooku he was NOT taking her love (Ankin) with him.  So again this is NOT
the same no parallel...

The scene is nearly identical.  While Dooku is a very different target than
Boba Fett, the similarities between the incidents are way too strong to simply
be dismissed.  The similarities between Amidala and her daughter Leia are
pretty obvious, but since these are essentially combat scenes I'll just take a
moment to point out that neither one is a soldier or a woman of action- both
were raised to be politicians.  But in these two scenes we are shown a
character trait that they share- it's extremely unlikely that a blaster shot is
going to hurt a starship, but neither one is willing to admit defeat as long as
there is even the slightest chance they can keep trying.  And what's more, they
can lead others to do the same (in both scenes they are standing at the head of
firing troops).

I think you're looking at plot considerations a little more literally than I
was.

Anakin leaves because he HAS to protect Amidala.  She is the one who
ACTUALLY LEAVES he must follow her.  Luke left on his OWN will from dagobah.
Again this is NOT a parallel point.

Err, was it not Anakin's idea to leave Naboo- the place he was ordered to go-
in order to go to Tatooine?  In fact, wasn't he plagued by visions of his
tortured mother, the same way that Luke is haunted by visions of his tortured
friends?

Later, yes, it was Amidala's insistance that takes them from Tatooine to
Geonosis.

Agree but I would image that in the SW universe this may be a common spcae
flight trick.

If it's common, then both the Imperial Navy and Jango Fett fall for a common
trick, which seems unlikely.  But either way, the scenes are similar.

eric