 Star Wars / 13364
Re: Amidala and the mass-murdering sociopath
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sat, 1 Jun 2002 05:48:59 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Kevin Powell writes:

One: Did anyone else notice that Jar-Jar has been made pretty much
responsible for the destruction of the Republic.  Sure Palpatine may have
taken over sooner or later, but Jar-Jar really sped up the process.  Lucas
says the public didn't influence his take on Jar-Jar in Ep II but I beg to
differ.  Sorry though, I always kind of liked Jar-Jar, he never really
bothered me. (Don't shoot me!)

I never had the problem with Jar-Jar that other people have had, but I wouldn't
say I "liked" him.  You're supposed to kind of think he's a boob after Episode
I; it sets you up to feel sorry for him when he gets duped into giving
Palpatine supreme power.  That was Lucas' plan all along; public opinion about
Jar-Jar didn't change it.

This is correct.  In a recent interview with Lucas, he said this.  That
Ja-ja had a minor role becuase you already knew him from EP1 and you are
suppose to feel both sorry but also understand that it WOULD take someone
like JA-JA to be tricked into doing what he did.  By providing his
background in EP1 we can ALL understand that it is INDEED possible and in
his nature to DO what he DID.

Two: Did anyone else get that creepy, cool ESB vibe when Anakin fought Dooku
at the end.  He conveniently cut that power cable that made the lights go
out and then we had blue glow on Anakin's face and Red glow on Dooku's face.
Didn't that look just like the Vader vs. Luke scene at the end of ESB?  I
thought so, I haven't watched ESB since I saw Ep II maybe I should look
again, but I got that vibe.  Plus, Anakin looses an arm.  Not to go too deep
but I thought that was pretty symbolic with both Ep II and ESB being the 2nd
movies in their respective trilogies.

Maybe I'm just nuts.

No, there are even more parallels than that.

*Luke and Anakin both succumb a little to the Dark Side.  For Luke, it was his
failure at the cave.  For Anakin, it was his trip to the Tusken Raider camp.
Both had a trial to pass, and both failed.

But Luke FAILED in the cave because of his FEAR.  He feared the encounter
with vader.  Anakin failed at the camp becuase of his ANGER.  He was anger
for his mother's death.  These are NOT the same, so I disagree that they are
parallel.

*The Jedi/Clone Trooper army invades a ground base whose inhabitants fall back
to their starship to escape.  This is the same scenario as the Empire's
invasion of Hoth, except this time the "Good guys" are on the invading side.
They even have Walkers and Stormtroopers.

*There is a confrontation during the flight prep of Slave I.

*Amidala and some Clone Troopers fire their weapons at Count Dooku's escaping
ship, reminiscent of Leia and Chewie firing after Slave I as it escaped Cloud
City.

But Slave I was carrying Liea's LOVE (frozen Han).  Amidala was just firing
at Dooku he was NOT taking her love (Ankin) with him.  So again this is NOT
the same no parallel...

*Anakin leaves someplace Obi-Wan tells him to go.  Luke leaves Dagobah
prematurely, against Kenobi's wishes.

Anakin leaves because he HAS to protect Amidala.  She is the one who
ACTUALLY LEAVES he must follow her.  Luke left on his OWN will from dagobah.
Again this is NOT a parallel point.

*Obligatory asteroid sequence, complete with kenobi hiding his fighter on an
asteroid the same way the Falcon clamps to the Star Destroyer, and using scrap
metal to hide his presence (he dumps spare parts to detonate the missile and
stand in for wreckage, the Falcon "floats away with the rest of the garbage").

Agree but I would image that in the SW universe this may be a common spcae
flight trick.  Besides, we used 'counter-measures (AKA noise makers)' to
trick torpedoes so using 'scrap metal' to trick the missle is the same theory...

But, then again, there are parallels to the other movies as well:

*Anakin parries for Kenobi, as he will later parry for the Emperor in Episode
VI.

*Kenobi neatly removes Zam Wessel's arm in a barfight, as he will do in Episode
IV.

eric

-Ahui