 Star Wars / 13147
Re: Where is the Queen?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 8 May 2002 18:47:49 GMT

    I think you're mistaken on what's the cause and effect here.  The reason
Lego is "geared for boys" is because experienced Lego marketers (or is it
marketeers?) realize that boys tend to buy more Legos than girls do.  Now this
is a generalized statement, of course, but girlie Legos just haven't
historically marketed as well.

    I work a community center, where I've used my clout to purchase four tubs
of lego as well as many additional sets to please space-heads and castle-heads
alike.  I have an after school Lego Club, as well, that elementary age girls
show up for, but aren't really interested in building.  First they told me I
bought boy sets.  So I let them pick the next sets I should buy.  They chose
the Creator stuff with pre-fab doors and windows and fences and flowers and
things.  When we got the new Legos, they were interested for a good six minutes
and they still don't build with them.  In fact, if they play with anything,
it's the horses and the dinosaurs from Johnny Thunder they like best.  But they
don't really build.  They don't even like the creator figs which sadly (or
not)just sift to the bottom of the tubs.

    Now my case study, singular as it is, indicates to me that TLG is smarter
to mass appeal to boys, throw some girlie girl stuff out a bit to appeal to the
boys' sisters and moms, and patronize the feminists with a masculine Alpha Team
female from time to time to cover their politically correct rears.

    Chauvinistic?  Maybe.  Smart marketing?  For sure.  Now I realize,
lest I get unkind feedback, that there are plenty of female AFOLs here and
abroad.  And I myself would love more females to balance my latest minifig
census.  This is particularly a major gripe amongst my pirate population.
"What's a good pillaging without some lasses to terrorize?"  they tell me "A
mate gets awfully lonely at sea."  Blah blah blah.  I'll probably have to buy
them a female soccer team or something to settle them down.  But I digress...
What I'm saying is that both Lego and Star Wars conceptually relate more to
boys.  Therefore, rather than fighting mother nature, which is more costly and
time consuming, Lego markets to boys.  They're not necessarily chauvinists, but
business men.

Markus Wolf