 Star Wars / 13102
Re: Where is the Queen?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 3 May 2002 17:03:24 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Benjamin Medinets writes:

No Kidding.  I saw some new Ep II action figures, and saw "Padme Amidala".
It had her white outfit, ripped in the middle, bearing her mid-section
(above the waist), she was chained to what looked like a wooden tree stump.
To me, it brought back flashes of "slave-girl" princess Leia.  I haven't
seen many previews of Ep. II, read the book, etc. so I don't know how the
above scene relates to anything...just thought I'd mention that.

Yeah...I saw a bunch of puzzles with packaging and pictures suggesting they
were for kids (methinks us older fellers can do with cardboard, thanks), but
was kinda puzzled (aha, ha, very funny) at one in particular that had sort
of a "girls of StarWars" theme.  The vocal point was the Amidala with the
white outfit you mentioned, along with a Slave Leia and several other pics
of the two toting blasters and etc (clearly for a different audience, but
potential buyers would probably be more apt to buy a larger one in a normal
cardboard box, not a wee one in a plastic/tin container; I forget the
material it was).  On the topic of StarWars merchandise, I'm as dissapointed
with the 12" figures as I am with the Lego mini-figs.  The Episode 1 12"
figures were fantastic; I purchased the two Jedi and the Sith and have them
posed battling.  The material and detail is wonderful, they look very much
like their real life counterparts.  The Episode 2 12"ers tho...I won't be
buying them, they are an eyesore.

As far as Amidala in mini-fig form, I don't know when that will happen.  But
we still have a couple more years to see what will happen.  I wouldn't be
surprised if we don't get too many more Ep. I sets.

Yeah, you know...we REALLY need more buildings.  The whole Star Wars product
line is really starting to annoy me.  It should be a testament to the
failure of our prequels, that 30 years after and even now they could release
classic Star Wars sets, but they have missed their chance to sucessfully
sell items like the Queens Royal Starship (I think, at least).  Perhaps
after all the prequels are out and we look upon the prequals as "the
prequals" and not 2-3 seperate movies, with one taking the spotlight, the
popularity of the things seen in each individual movie will skyrocket.  But
I get the feeling the prequals will not be remembered and liked as the
classic trilogy was.  EpII, prove me wrong...

--Josh