 Star Wars / 10719
Re: Ewok Holocaust
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 16:34:09 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Will Lutz writes:
The Earth gets hits by tons and tons of dust all the time yet it doesn't
seem to bother her none :)  Yep, that's right we are gaining weight all the
time... of coarse the last correction of the gravitation constant knocked
some 6,000,000,000,000 metric tons off the scale so we can add a lot of dust
without causing any problems.  In fact, all the metallic dust would most
likely help the planet / moon much more than hurt it.

-Will

Not only dust but our planet is constantly barraged by meteors and space
junk.  Most of the stuff burns up in the atmosphere without any detrimental
effects, the stuff that does hit the Earth is typically so small that it
causes very little damage.

Of course, there's also the aspect of the gravitational fields produced by
something of that size.  Everything produces a gravitational field; the
higher the mass, the stronger the field.  Just having something like that in
orbit would effect the winds, the tides, the atmospheric pressure, etc.
When it gets destroyed the gravity field is dissipated and that alone could
have very strange effects.  Imagine if the Moon were to blow up... the
planet would probably survive and a good amount of life would survive as
well, but the loss of the Moon's gravity would do some odd things to the
global climate.

-Bryan
hobartrus@hotmail.com
http://www.geocities.com/hobartrus/index.html