 Star Wars / 10716
Re: Ewok Holocaust
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 08:24:29 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, James Simpson writes:

Lucas certainly has an eye for the visual medium - but a talented screenplay
writer he is not.

Ooh, you got me going there.

Lucas had a story, which he shared with Leigh Brackett over several days in
late 1977. Brackett turned in a script on February 23, 1977, and succumbed
to cancer shortly thereafter. Lucas worked up a second and a third draft in
April. Then Lawrence Kasdan was brought in to take over--he claims he threw
out lots of corny stuff (he may be right.)

In Brackett's last sf novel, the lone hero brings about the downfall of a
totalitarian regime, the Wandsmen, and dooms its vast peoples to starvation
as a result.

I have to tell you, in Leigh Brackett science fiction, people don't escape
the consequences of their actions. I think she would have loved to show how
much destruction was in the cards after the Empire. But Lucas realized it
wasn't the Star Wars direction.

Lucas: "Writing has never been something I enjoyed.... no matter how much I
wanted to get out of writing, I was somehow always forced to sit down and
work on the script."

[1] Star Wars: The Annotated Screenplays