 Star Wars / 10708
Re: Ewok Holocaust
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 20:47:36 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Jeromy Irvine writes:
"Lorbaat" wrote:
???  Actually, carefully reading the article shows that he addresses • the
point of debris vs. vapor- first, vaporisation doesn't get rid of the • matter,
it merely transmutes it into another state.  You can't vaporise • several
thousand cubic miles (a conservative estimate) of metal and not have • it end up
somewhere- and the nearest constant gravity source is the Ewoks' moon. • Whether
in the form of a dust of metal particles or huge chunks slamming into • the
ground, the environmental impact would be severe, at least.  Secondly, • a
semi-official source (the ROTJ radio drama, which IIRC ranks pretty • high in the
canon order) makes specific reference to debris entering the
atmosphere.

True. Even if vaporized, the matter still has to go somewhere. My point
(which I failed to clearly identify, apologies for being unclear) was
that matter in a vaporized (gaseous) form would be more likely to be
neutralized by the atmosphere of a large body. Assuming it was
vaporized, only the matter flying directly toward the moon would
significantly penetrate the atmosphere at first. The remainder of the
gas, even if it fell back towards the moon after it finished expanding,
could be sufficiently deflected and/or neutralized by the atmosphere
since it would be moving at a much slower speed than the initial
explosion.

The point is that the matter is matter. It doesn't just disappear, it has to go
somewhere. If it is part of an object which is in an artificial orbit around
the planet, it will fall to the planet (unless it actually has more energy than
required for escape, in which case it would fly off into space, but the article
asserts that the Death Star II did not have that energy). It is totally
inescapable that the debris will either fall to the planet's surface, or drift
in its atmosphere. In either case, given the quantity, it will have a serious
impact. The only option to "eliminate" the matter is to convert it to energy,
which would release an incredible amount of radiation, which would have even
worse detrimental effects. You can't beat the laws of physics.

Frank