 Star Wars / 10696
Re: Ewok Holocaust
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 17:13:17 GMT

I've visited this site before, and while it's an interesting
interpretation, the author makes two major mistakes:

1) Trying to impose known physical limitations on unknown technology and
movie special effects. We all know that movie props and special effects
don't always match in scale or obey the physics of the actual universe;
and Star Wars is more prone to this than most due to its subject nature.
How do hyperdrives, lightsabers, etc. work? Who cares! Trying to explain
the technology tends to make it less fun sometimes. To paraphrase:
"Analyzing fiction is like dissecting a frog: most people don't enjoy it
and the frog usually dies as a result."

(You'll have to read the article to really understand my next point.)
2) Even given physical parameters established by the author, why does
there have to be debris and fallout on the moon? Given the obviously
enormous power output of the Death Star, isn't it possible that energy
released by the explosion simply vaporized most or all of the matter of
the object instantaneously? Why does there have to be debris left over
from the explosion?

Anyway, that's my two cents on the whole issue. :)

--
Jeromy Irvine

mail: irvinej@accuvera.com
site: http://www.accuvera.com/lego/

"Lorbaat" <eric@nospam.thirteen.net> wrote in message

The true impact of a Galactic Civil War on the innocent bystanders:

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/holocaust.html

eric