 Star Wars / 10718
Re: Ewok Holocaust / Jedi Death
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 14:24:22 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Sean Harrington writes:
So, I guess laying Vader to rest on a funeral pyre on Endor was redundant...

Luke - "Hey, Han! Got a match?"
Han - "Yeah, my butt and your face."
Luke - "Naaah, I mean so's I can get rid of my old man's corpse."
Han - "Just use your robot hand. It's already on fire after Lando torched the
second Death Star and it came crashing into the atmosphere of this moon."
Luke - "Groovy.

LOL!

<rant>
Also, who thinks that WAY too much is being made over this whole "Jedi" death
thing? Who cares whether or not they "disappear" or if they die and have to be
cremated?

(Warning: opinionated rant to follow):

Yes and no...in retrospect, the Obi-Wan disappearance was a little bit corny,
but, it was filmed in 1976, so it's kind of excusable (they could only do so
much with technology.)  This was, however, IMO the first great plot conundrum.
Lucas seems to have felt that a mere death wouldn't be sufficient...wouldn't
have enough dramatic vigour.  I'd personally prefer that these Jedi masters
don't just disappear (presumably it's only the particularly benevolent or wise
that are "assumed" into the force because neither Vader nor Qui-Gon
disappeared.)  My beef with the disappearance angle is that its part of a larger
direction that Lucas is taking with the Jedi that I don't particularly care for:
I call it the Superfriends Syndrome.  Droidekas got you pinned down at close
range?  Just turbo-boost down the hall.  Fall off an 80-foot precipice and land
on your shoulder without so much of a dislocation?  Just take a standing super-
leap back up to the top.  Don't want to move a lightsaber by the force and hack
off the evil Sith's feet (would have been too easy)?  Just levitate at the speed
of cold syrup being poured, nail a Greg Louganis, and then run 'em through.  I
appreciate that Yoda had the ability to levitate an X-Wing, but even he did that
with great concentration.  I'd prefer the Jedi to be a warrior-priest class who
have acquired the ability of mind-over-matter manipulation with great
concentration and subtelty.  IMO, its a cop-out to resort to the "super-force"
card whenever you get your characters in a script tight-spot.

And midichlorians? What kind of plot device is that? Sounds like Anakin was
created from scratch by Palpatine, and that he programmed them to build a kid
inside Shmi. They'll probably use them to explain the whole Clone thing as
well.

Yep.  We've really lost something of the wonder and mystery of the force in
this.

james