 Space / 989
Re: Sentimental Journey (Was Re: What all has TLC done?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 02:36:55 GMT

In lugnet.space, Paul Baulch writes:
On one point I feel moved to vigorously disagree with Scott and Todd.
Exploriens did NOT suck! Quite the opposite! One little mistake with the
design of a "useless" wing piece (the PEWC [1]) doesn't relegate Exploriens
to the status of the ugly fiascoes that are UFO and Insecturds. I like
Exploriens a lot, especially the minifigs.

I like Exploriens too.  The figs are OK, and I have a bunch.  I especially I
like their helmets. (But I really like the Hydronauts blue-chrome helmets, and
I only have one :(

these three "Classic" space sets:  6931, 6891, and 6780.  Wow, the same
spaceship with a different gimmick stuck in the back! How unimaginative can
you get!

They come with tons of little widgets and other cool pieces, though.

Almost as amusing as the 6783 Light-N-Sound Box with
Cockpit-Stuck-On-Front, or the 6985 Lump-Of-Cool-Parts [2]

I have both of these.  They're not *that* ugly, and they have inspirational
details.  Often a spaceship doesn't have to be beautiful to be awesome...take a
look at yur own work :)

[2] And people make fun of the 6982 Explorien starship because its ugly!

I *like* the general shape of 6982.  Separate engines from living area is a
cool idea, IMO.

Yet they'll go all misty-eyed over the 6984
Galactic-Mishmash-Of-Grey-Black-And-Red or the 6973

I'm not a big fan of green with red either...

One final note before I go to bed: I prefer Space to SW for one reason:
Space had original designs. SW has replicas of the film's designs. I don't
know about anyone else, but this makes SW nowhere near as inspiring for me.
More than an Arachnerd Base, perhaps, but a lot less than an Android Base.

IMO, Android base was good for the domes, but that's about it.  (Well, the tiny
flying thing is kind of nifty...)  I like the SW sets, though, especially for
the parts (and gray!)

Aw, stuff it, I'm on holidays. More final notes:
[*] One thing I never could figure out was Ice Planet's use of
trans-fluoro-orange. It is so unpleasantly, well.... loud. I mean, they
understood how cool trans blue was. What were they thinking when they made
trans-fluoro-orange?

Trans-orange looks bad with blue and white, but I think it looks nice with
black and a bit of white, or maybe with gray.  The DFD looks awesome in yellow
and black[1]

instance, my favourite Space sets (the 6887 and 6897)

Cool sets, but not my favorites.

[*] Pity the Blacktron 2 'figs sucked so much though. :-(
Yeah, BT1 was so much better.  I think TLC realized that black visors *are*
cool[2] later (I think 6679 was the first set with them after BT1

[*] At least Classic Space didn't have magnets.

:)

1] http://www.baylug.org/rogerr/deepfreezedef.htm
2] Although some people might not agree.  When I bought a used collection a few
years ago, almost all the BT1 visors had been (badly) painted a dirty white.