 Space / 1006
Re: Sentimental Journey (Was Re: What all has TLC done?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 12:57:45 GMT

Bram Lambrecht wrote in message ...

Almost as amusing as the 6783 Light-N-Sound Box with
Cockpit-Stuck-On-Front, or the 6985 Lump-Of-Cool-Parts [2]

I have both of these.  They're not *that* ugly, and they have inspirational
details.  Often a spaceship doesn't have to be beautiful to be • awesome...take a
look at yur own work :)

Hey! Which one of my spaceships isn't beautiful?!?......   ;-)

I guess my earlier rant was more about looks than playability and
buildability. There's no doubt that as the Space themes progressed over the
years, the piece variety and set flexibility became lower and lower. Perhaps
I misunderstand people when they say, "this spaceship was cool", because
they usually mean "this SET was cool (because I built great stuff with its
parts)". I find the actual looks of the set important, though, because it
helps give inspiration, and TLC should, too, because it helps sets move off
the shelves.

Perhaps if someone is saying they liked set NNNN for the parts they should
say "the NNNN Parts Pack was cool".

[2] And people make fun of the 6982 Explorien starship because its ugly!

I *like* the general shape of 6982.  Separate engines from living area is a
cool idea, IMO.

Yet they'll go all misty-eyed over the 6984
Galactic-Mishmash-Of-Grey-Black-And-Red or the 6973

I'm not a big fan of green with red either...

Being complementary colours, they do clash, but you have to be careful. I'm
making a spaceship using red and green, I plan to keep the two fairly
separate using a lot of dark grey. It has to be red and green because it's
based on the Extreme Team. Don't ask ;-)

IMO, Android base was good for the domes, but that's about it.  (Well, the • tiny
flying thing is kind of nifty...)  I like the SW sets, though, especially • for
the parts (and gray!)

This set had been cropping up a lot where I live, and on discount too. I
ended up buying four of them. It's good for more than the domes - there are
quite a few long white bricks too, and more of the slide rails (or whetever
they're called)
You can make a nifty base using four, but that's not really imaginative
enough - I'm halfway through building a large Exploriens ship with the dome
pieces - the white curved wall bits make for excellent bay doors, due to
their lightness and curvature. Heck, the Android bases have provided lots of
good parts for the MOC, and this MOC has a lot of conventional bricks in it.

Aw, stuff it, I'm on holidays. More final notes:
[*] One thing I never could figure out was Ice Planet's use of
trans-fluoro-orange. It is so unpleasantly, well.... loud. I mean, they
understood how cool trans blue was. What were they thinking when they made
trans-fluoro-orange?

Trans-orange looks bad with blue and white,

Yeah, the colour scheme was my main beef with the DFD, actually with Ice
Planet in general. The other sets didn't seem to have it as bad because they
used more black than the DFD did. Then again, maybe I have some obscure form
of colour blindness.

but I think it looks nice with
black and a bit of white, or maybe with gray.

That would make sense. Virtually any colour will look okay alongside just
neutral colours. I like the gray idea, that's worth checking out.

The DFD looks awesome in yellow and black[1]

Wow! I hadn't seen that before. It's actually a MOC though, isn't it? A
substantial improvement on the original DFD design too, with third cockpit
replacing the rocket bay (with its printed cover - euughh!), and a less
obvious (or even removed?) garage door. I approve!  Dunno if I approve of
painting canopies black, though.

instance, my favourite Space sets (the 6887 and 6897)

Cool sets, but not my favorites.

A bit too small for you, eh? ;-)  Again, 6897 wasn't that good for parts or
alternative models, but when I was younger it was just so good to have a set
that looked great, came with a good guy and a bad guy, and did cool things,
but was still small enough to whack in the bag to take to the beach on
summer vacation.

[*] Pity the Blacktron 2 'figs sucked so much though. :-(
Yeah, BT1 was so much better.  I think TLC realized that black visors *are*
cool[2] later (I think 6679 was the first set with them after BT1

Yeah, black visors look really good. The Extreme Team use them, too. Those
'figs look really cool. Hmm, I gotta stop talking about Extreme Team....

Paul