 Space / 1008
Re: What all has TLC done?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 04:20:03 GMT

"Paul Baulch" <paul@vic.bigpond.net.au> writes:
Hey! Which one of my spaceships isn't beautiful?!?......   ;-)

Don't get me wrong, none of them are ugly!  They're just not what I would
consider beautiful, but rather utilitarian, immense, powerful, original,
detailed, etc...

I guess my earlier rant was more about looks than playability and
buildability. There's no doubt that as the Space themes progressed
over the years, the piece variety and set flexibility became lower
and lower.

Sad, but true.  Look at the widgets on the front of some of those old
ships...when was the last time TLG used so many pieces to accomplish
something?

I find the actual looks of the set important, though, because it
helps give inspiration, and TLC should, too, because it helps sets
move off the shelves.

I agree.  Unique uses/combinations of pieces seem to be getting rarer.

Being complementary colours, they do clash, but you have to be
careful. I'm making a spaceship using red and green, I plan to keep
the two fairly separate using a lot of dark grey. It has to be red
and green because it's based on the Extreme Team. Don't ask ;-)

Maybe it's 'cause I'm considered color-blind (at least by the nurse at
school), but that seems like a color scheme with very little contrast.
Are you going to add any brighter colors?

Heck, the Android bases have provided lots of good parts for the MOC,

OK, it does have some good parts, but the design is not very impressive.
(I have two, one full price, one half.)

Trans-orange looks bad with blue and white,

Yeah, the colour scheme was my main beef with the DFD, actually with
Ice Planet in general.

It's those clashing complementary color again :)

Then again, maybe I have some obscure form of colour blindness.

Just don't ask me to find something dark green on a dark rust-colored
carpet :)

but I think it looks nice with
black and a bit of white, or maybe with gray.

That would make sense. Virtually any colour will look okay alongside
just neutral colours. I like the gray idea, that's worth checking out.

When I said "maybe with gray" I meant it depends on your taste :)  I have
tried it on my Pentapterigoid Star Fighter[1]: gray with yellow and red
detailing, trans-orange canopy.  This model also looks cool in white with
black and blue detailing, and a touch of yellow, but I didn't build it
that way.

The DFD looks awesome in yellow and black[1]

Wow! I hadn't seen that before. It's actually a MOC though, isn't it?

Yeah, there are a bunch of changes (all improvements, except maybe where
playability is concerned)  Have you checked out the other stuff on that
page? (Just go up a directory)

Dunno if I approve of painting canopies black, though.

Hey, it goes with black visors.

instance, my favourite Space sets (the 6887 and 6897)

Cool sets, but not my favorites.

A bit too small for you, eh? ;-)

Not necessarily...they just lack the tiny details that made classic space
sets so great.  Too bad the classic figs didn't have visors on their
helmets...

The Extreme Team use them, too. Those 'figs look really cool.

I think so too...I especially like the printing on the back.  I like the
RES-Q figs too--the bright orange trim on the white jackets is great...I
just wish they didn't say RES-Q on the back.

Hmm, I gotta stop talking about Extreme Team....

I'm waiting to see your creation :)
--Bram

1) http://www.chuh.org/Students/Bram-Lambrecht/LEGO/wallpaper/