 Space / 977
Re: Sentimental Journey (Was Re: What all has TLC done?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 18:22:55 GMT

Bones Dragon wrote:

On one point I feel moved to vigorously disagree with Scott and Todd.
Exploriens did NOT suck! Quite the opposite! One little mistake with the

  I have to agree.. While I despised the insectoids and ufo stuff, and I
do have a certain attachment to the classic space sets (for nostalgic
reasons, since I had those and nothing else when I was a kid), I think
they did a nice job on exploriens and some of the blacktron stuff.. The
exlporiens sets do look strange, in a way, but I think they had an
appealing level of creative complexity, a nice color scheme, and
a cool selection of parts. :)

Wait a second. I happen to own all the Exploriens, and I did / do like
them. I think the uniforms are nice. I just don't think they are up to
par with the more classic sets, I.E. Classic Space, Futuron, Blacktron
1, and Mtron. The large vessel from Exploriens is horrid. The front end,
the back end, all movable (The front dipped down, and the wings went up
and down - very fragile), no room for minifigs, the ship had holes in
the hull, where the people were, etc.

If you compare two different ones, like these:

Explorien Starship:

Classic Space Cosmic Fleet Voyager: (I think this is one of my favorite
spaceships)

There is just no comparison. I must have blown up, crashed, rebuilt, had
adventures with the 6985 so many times, I can probably build it from
memory. :)

Anyway, the Exploriens are OK, but are not up to the caliber of the
older themes. They have  some good parts (Although I really detest that
hollow white wing item), just not my favorite theme. The SW series is,
IMO, really nice.

Scott S.