 Space / 8975
Re: Bram Lambrecht 's spaceplane
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2001 22:58:45 GMT

In lugnet.space, Matthew Gerber writes:
Hey Bram,

I think Larry was focusing more on the statement "But a 100 piece MOC that
makes you go wow is WAY more remarkable.".

I mean, I do the same thing...while models like your space plane TOTALLY
blow me away in detail, size, design and obvious amount of time taken, there
is something about a small model (or limited parts, also) that is done so
well that it floors you. The origami mech that have been making the rounds
come readily to mind...I mean, look at the amount of detail, precision and
articulation being squeezed into a model just a few inches high.

It's in the limiting of scale/parts that the genius comes through, ya' know?
When building at the scale of your space plane, it's almost like you have an
infinite canvas and an infinite pallate to work with/from, so it's ALMOST a
given that you will come up with something great, but the ability to do AND
keep it small, that's just as great. Am I right Larry?

Yep.

Thanks for clarifying that Matthew, it's exactly what I meant, but stated
much more clearly.

When I wrote my post I was thinking about what Mladen said (in the "why some
models get feedback" thread)... I came away thinking he was saying he was
more impressed by large models than small ones. That may not be exactly what
he meant. But if it is, I don't quite agree with it.

Without demeaning the difficulty factors that Bram outlines to do with large
models (all valid) I still think small IS hard. You have to plan more
carefully. (why do I like 6 wide better than 8 wide trains? because it's harder)

But Bram, you have no worries. You're an ace modeler in my book, at any size
factor you choose. Real OR virtual.

My 2¢,

See your 2 and raise you one. :-)

++Lar