 Space / 7369
Re: Creative Processes (was Re: Success Ratio)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 02:29:14 GMT

In lugnet.space, Paul Hartzog writes:
Interesting,

there seems to be 2 diff kinds of builders out there:

1) those who plan and then execute
2) those who sit and creatively flow

i tend to do a little of both, like this:
i often sit and tinker, creatively experimenting
w/ many ideas, not full MOCs, just parts of engines,
parts of windshields or cabins or such...
then also,
i will plan out a ship,
i actually drew my M.E.D.I.C. out on paper first
but the Yellowjacket came from a sit-down creative
non-stop session.

taking this thread in a new direction,
how do you all see yourselves and your creative
processes?

Actually, I find that the size of the creation dictates to correct amount of
forethought.  The larger you build, the more you have to plan it out to
ensure success.

Most of my smaller things are just freebuilding on the spot.  But for things
like the capital ships, I have spent up to a month of on and off tinkering
on paper with layouts and hull shapes and such before two bricks ever even met.
But no matter how much I plan it out, when I get down to the detail phase I
just freebuild.  For the Benevolent Grace, I planned more than I ever have
for a Lego creation, and it really helped.  The thing that killed me on my
earlier capships was lack of proper planning.  I had the walls up and then I
had to try and build the insides, and then justify the whole thing in my
mind... it just fell apart conceptually.

well, that's my process I guess  :)

1. make poorly laid out ship
2. scrap ship, learn from mistakes
3. plan plan plan