 Space / 7242
Re: Success Ratio
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build, lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 01:07:12 GMT

In lugnet.space, Mark Sandlin writes:
in article G999Fu.6uv@lugnet.com, Paul Hartzog wrote:

ok
here's a question for all builders
but particularly space

i usually start 3 or 4 MOCs and abandon
them once i realize they are going nowhere,
BEFORE i get one that is really working
which i then finish

I am wondering,
what's the typical success ratio out there?
am i the only one who doesn't have every
MOC turn out wonderful on the first try ;-)

thx
-paul

As an AFOL trying to emerge from his Dark Ages, and being both motivated AND
hindered by my four year-old son (because of him, I have the excuse to enjoy a
second childhood -- but have you ever tried to clean up after a kid has been
through your carefully-organized box of 1 X 1 plates?), here's my tally:

- three or four build-it-quick models for my kid, which don't really count...

- three small models which really please me, two simple racing vehicles and one
robot, all under 100 pieces each...

- the peak of an octagonal tower, which consumed about 300 pieces and which
will require massive infusions of hinge bricks and/or plates to continue... not
abandoned, but stalled indefinitely...

- a portion of a Star Wars Imperial Star Destroyer, stopped for the same reason
as above -- insufficient parts.  Plus, the construction is unusual, very
SNOTty.  There are some major issues I still need to work out...

- three or four attempts at minifig-scale spacecraft, stalled for a combination
of reasons including a lack of parts, and a desire to build something that is
conceivable today, and thus doesn't require extensive fantasy-tech explanations
(implication: large fuel tanks, lots of parts)...

To summarize...  Successes: 3 1/2  Postponements or failures: 4-5

So, my batting average is about .400 so far.  I expect it to improve as my
collection acquires certain critical pieces, and when my son learns how to put
Lego away as well as he takes it out.

I dunno, I think I probably scrap one out of 7, guesstimating.

It helps to start from a drawing or idea that you have sketched, so you
don't have to waste time deciding on a shape.

Even if you do THAT, as I have for my larger MOC attempts, it doesn't help when
you include parts in your drawings which you don't actually own yet!  Then
comes the budget prioritizing... which set shall I buy this month?

~Grand Admiral Muffin Head

--
John J. Ladasky Jr., Ph.D.
Department of Biology