 Space / 7407
Re: Creative Processes (was Re: Success Ratio)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 23:59:53 GMT

there seems to be 2 diff kinds of builders out there:

1) those who plan and then execute
2) those who sit and creatively flow

...snip.
When I take my time in planning a model my success rate is usually just about
100%; when I just have a go at the pile, my success rate is probably about 10%.

james

That explains a lot! Yeah, I've never sat down and planned anything I did
(although, maybe building Transformers while constantly comparing them to
the actual toy in front of me counts as preparation? I mean, it's even
better than drawings, right?). And although I didn't have an actual 5571
Black Cat in front of me, I had many reference pictures to look from (the
instructions weren't online at the time... drat!) so I guess I don't plan
ahead per se, but while building I like to sit down and look at the source
material.

My success ratio is actually really low (definitely less than 50%, not sure
exactly what because I often pick up a project again after putting it aside
for a while: Starscream I had actually stopped building and picked it up
again after a couple of months of builder's block). I'm just plain slow...
I'm sure if I planned it out as thoroughly as you did, I would still not be
as incredibly fast as Mark Sandlin or Bram Lambrecht. It probably doesn't
help that throughout the life of any model I build I'm constantly tearing it
down and building it back up (trying to improve structural integrety while
not sacrificing the aesthetics).

Maybe the difference between the really talented builders and those of us
who muddle through projects building on the fly is the amazing speed at
which they can cobble together detailed, impressive moc's? (Yes, Muffin
Head, I have started to try sorting and organizing my collection as per your
suggestion, but I'm never actually gonna be done!)

Mark W.