 Space / 7283
Re: Success Ratio
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 13:47:55 GMT

In article <G999Fu.6uv@lugnet.com>, Paul Hartzog <panarchy23@yahoo.com> wrote:
ok
here's a question for all builders
but particularly space

i usually start 3 or 4 MOCs and abandon
them once i realize they are going nowhere,
BEFORE i get one that is really working
which i then finish

I am wondering,
what's the typical success ratio out there?
am i the only one who doesn't have every
MOC turn out wonderful on the first try ;-)

I've yet to have a MOC turn out wonderful. :)  I get one worth taking a
few pictures of once in a while.  Even after multiple retrofits, I don't
think I've ever wound up with "wonderful."

I find that I rarely scrap an entire model-- I wind up, in the building
process, realizing what I should be doing with various sections I've built
and rebuild them that way.  A recent example can be almost seen in

That bit at the top that looks like trans-orange is the front section of:

There was actually another incarnation between these-- sometimes
even moving the construction turns out to be a mistake. :) I think
in the case of this one, I liked the idea so much I kept trying to
use it in places it didn't belong and didn't get it "right" until I
started building from it.

That first picture, btw, is probably the only picture that will exist of that
big blue ship (not the grey one docked to it)-- it was one of the ones that
got shredded 'cause I wasn't sufficiently impressed with it, so I never built
the rest of it.

I suspect that even the masters junk a creation or two, they just never
put up the pictures on brickshelf. :)

-JDF
--
J.D. Forinash                                     ,-.
foxtrot@cc.gatech.edu                            ( <