 Space / 4719
Re: Galactic Shipyard update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 22:54:03 GMT

Doh, i'd been typing for about a half hour and just lost it all. Lemmee see
if i can remember it all.

In lugnet.space, Trevor Pruden writes:
Wow, you are actually considering rebuilding the exterior?  Jason, the
exterior is gorgeous when viewed from a slightly head on angle.  What I
would like to see is a direct view from the side, showing the complete
profile.  Since you're only on the shell right now, I'm really interested in
how you've layed out that shell.

I'm only rebuilding the exterior to replace the errant black and replace
windows as supplies become available.  I need to update my page rather badly
I've completed the shell to 7 levels (minus a few windows).  I've got some
profile views and some new section details.  I'll let u know when i get it
updated again.

One thing the pictures haven't shown so far is how this ship comes apart.
Each level has 4 sections that are removable (similar to your Deifenbaker),
as well as the levels themselves.  I find this method of building similar to
programming, in that it's easier to create and modify smaller subfunctions
(sections) and then join them into one single program (spaceship).

My latest capital ship is slightly smaller than my previous attempts, mostly
because I wanted the look to flow from one end to the next, and I forced
myself to stay whithin a certain size limit so that I could move it ("im
limited for space in my apartment.  But after seeing yours I just want to
make my next one bigger and better!  :)

That's one of the problems with this ship is i can't pick it up and fly it
around the room :).  I had to move it section by section, to move it 3 feet
to another table.  I'm also having problems getting far enough away to get a
good overview picture, with decent lighting.

Serious question:  You use flat base pads as floors.  What do you do to
prevent too much flex?  Do you rely entirely on the technic cross beams?  I
was forced to at at least one layer of brick filler/substrate to each pad to
keep it stiff.  Currently, I only use basepads on the bottom floor (It
prvents scratching a table surface as much) and I use two layers of brick
substrate in a cross hatched pattern to keep the floor strong and stiff.
The second floor is all green 1-brick high plate (already stiff and strong).
Cheap 1-brick high green plates are hard to come by.

The floors right now are rather flimsy, some don't even rest on the beams
below them.  The beams primarily hold the walls from falling outward.  The
walls then keep the floors up.  Eventually the floors will rest on the
interior walls.  The interior walls are also capable of holding up the floor
they are on too.
Someone pointed out the lack of weapons protecting the bottoms of my
previous ships (which used base pads), and i realized also that the bottom
was the least armored.  So i used 2 layers of bricks for the base on this
one.  (just realized i could probably put base pads under them to make it
easier to move around, thanks!)

Second question:  I see that each floor includes the exterior walls, such
that each level (interior and exterior) is installed over tiles on the lower
level.  How do you hold the base plate to the exterior walls without making
the walls too thick (some brick to hold the baseplate, some to rest on the
tiles)?

I'll try to upload some pictures tonite or tomorrow detailing the floor to
floor and section to section detail, as well as some sections seperated out.
The neat thing about the base pads are when the rest on the bump below their
bumps are at the same level as a single plate next to it.  So the base pads
do rest on the walls below.

Third question:  Your engineering section is huge, with little in the way of
central supports.  How is the floor above it supported?  This is always the

The floor above engineering is the landing bay on a 48x48 baseplate.  i
think i added cross beams on the engineering sections (as elsewehere) but as
long as the walls stay in the floors stay up.  I intend on tiling (2x2
smooth tiles) the landing bay which should stiffen it up enough to allow the
baseplate to span 8x8 or 10x10 squares with a spaceship parked above it.
(but this remains to be seen. :)  I think it will.

Part of the reason i built this one was to test the structural qualities of
going this tall.  And the reason i've concentrated on getting the shell
built first, to see how well it would stand up.

big question because if you plan on using warp cores (I only know of a few
people including yourself and myself that use warp cores, converters,
bussard collectors (matter ram scoops) and warp emitters) you really need
space to show everything.  Are you planning on showing a slush tank (matter
storage), fusion reactor, antimatter containment and cooling?  Remember that
in Star Trek the fusion reactor powers the ship, including sub-light
propulsion, not the warp core.  The warp core only powers the warp bubble
generation.  When a warp core goes off line, the ship is still capable of
conventional (impulse) propulsion.

When i initially started designing this ship i had certain things i wanted
in certain places,  then depending on how they workout i add additional
things in. Like the matter ram scoops.  I use a little mixture of Star Trek
theory, Starwars and other movies.  Alot of that (slush tanks etc.) I hadn't
even thought of, but now that you mention it i may incorporate some of that,
if that's okay.  I seem to run out of neat machinery stuff to build so some
of it is just whimsey.  Someone said about details on ships, "It doesn't
really need to be anything you can explain" or something like that.

It sounds like you have the details much more figured out than I.

Thanks for the questions, hope that's not too long of a reply:) nice ships
btw (still looking thru em)

Jeb

Both your ships and Daniel Jassim's a-wing carrier are fantastic!

Trev
Astro Lift Co.

<sniped my last>