 Space / 4714
Re: Galactic Shipyard update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 15:13:30 GMT

Wow, you are actually considering rebuilding the exterior?  Jason, the
exterior is gorgeous when viewed from a slightly head on angle.  What I
would like to see is a direct view from the side, showing the complete
profile.  Since you're only on the shell right now, I'm really interested in
how you've layed out that shell.

My latest capital ship is slightly smaller than my previous attempts, mostly
because I wanted the look to flow from one end to the next, and I forced
myself to stay whithin a certain size limit so that I could move it ("im
limited for space in my apartment.  But after seeing yours I just want to
make my next one bigger and better!  :)

Serious question:  You use flat base pads as floors.  What do you do to
prevent too much flex?  Do you rely entirely on the technic cross beams?  I
was forced to at at least one layer of brick filler/substrate to each pad to
keep it stiff.  Currently, I only use basepads on the bottom floor (It
prvents scratching a table surface as much) and I use two layers of brick
substrate in a cross hatched pattern to keep the floor strong and stiff.
The second floor is all green 1-brick high plate (already stiff and strong).
Cheap 1-brick high green plates are hard to come by.

Second question:  I see that each floor includes the exterior walls, such
that each level (interior and exterior) is installed over tiles on the lower
level.  How do you hold the base plate to the exterior walls without making
the walls too thick (some brick to hold the baseplate, some to rest on the
tiles)?

Third question:  Your engineering section is huge, with little in the way of
central supports.  How is the floor above it supported?  This is always the
big question because if you plan on using warp cores (I only know of a few
people including yourself and myself that use warp cores, converters,
bussard collectors (matter ram scoops) and warp emitters) you really need
space to show everything.  Are you planning on showing a slush tank (matter
storage), fusion reactor, antimatter containment and cooling?  Remember that
in Star Trek the fusion reactor powers the ship, including sub-light
propulsion, not the warp core.  The warp core only powers the warp bubble
generation.  When a warp core goes off line, the ship is still capable of
conventional (impulse) propulsion.

Both your ships and Daniel Jassim's a-wing carrier are fantastic!

Trev
Astro Lift Co.

In lugnet.space, Jason E. Baker writes:
Woah, Thanks all!!! (especially Jon for his Galactic shipyard page)

I had entered another dark age near the end of building Osiris, and tend to
be a bit quiet about posting here. I'm not the best at tooting my own horn
and everyone else's models seem equally impressive (if not more so) than mine.

To try and answer all the questions, right now Hyperion is 100% Lego (thanks
to bulk packs that i've purchased a little here and there over the years).
And i'm sure i've spent way more than i should have, but the great thing
about the internet is you can always find someone more obsessive than
yourself(envisioning a 6' tall stegasaurus).  The orange thing is a
megablock flashlight piece from a planetoid set (Dave you were right).  I
use the bricks for filler, but not yet on Hyperion).  I'm always tempted to
use some of the megablock pieces that lego hasn't created, but have
refrained so far.
Some of the boxes in the back (other than the ones previously noted) are car
stereo amplifier boxes from several years back.

Currently the ship is hollow, i'm working on the interior spaces, and will
probably rebuild the majority of the exterior as i get more gray bricks.
I'll try to keep updating the page and i'll try to post lil notes to let you
know when i've updated it.

I am able to pick up one section(7 levels) high but the shape is too awkward
to get a good handhold on it.

It's great to see all the other capital ships showing up, something i rarely
saw when i started my first(Behemoth).  So kudos to you all, keep up the
good work, and I apologize for not letting each of you know how nice your
ships are (i end up getting jealous and run off to play :).

Thanks again all

Jeb