 Space / 34364
Re: New MOC: Vanguard-Class Destroyer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 13 Jun 2004 22:34:53 GMT

In lugnet.space, Travis Matheson wrote:

   So I just had to make a spacecraft with a turret! Of course, my so-called ‘destroyer’ with a crew of four is pitiful and small (it’s almost 90 studs long), but what the heck, I had fun building it.

What can I say that Hasn’t been said, so I’ll summarize

Turret - Tick Loved the look of this, though the angles may not be “realistic” for a naval turret, this isn’t a navel turret, it’s a space turret. I have long admired the way you build guns and turrets for your creations, they look so cool and minimal. On a related note I thought the missile design was clever too.

Thanks Travis!

Boxy - Tick I like the Boxy look, I’ve been trying to steer my own creations away from boxy of late but this is an excellent example of how boxy can be used, and used well.

Yeah, I’m not too big a fan of boxy spacecraft, but I guess sometimes you just have to design them as such.

Interiors - Tick I like the interiors of the Vanguard, although from my standpoint a military vessel should have one central cramped corridor running down the length, but that is both my one personal view and a bit difficult in a MOC that isn’t 20 studs wide. at 8 studs you’ve jammed a lot of detail. I like the bunks and the, well I presume they are, drawers. Mind if I borrow that idea?

Yeah, I kinda did mess up by making the lower sections only 8 studs wide. However, I do prefer ships with multi-levels though.

BTW, the bunks and drawers idea is quite old. Karim Nassar first used it on his Series 9000 Runabout “Orion” Class. Feel free to use it, since I haven’t seen anyone else use it, and Karim’s MOC is like 5 years old.

Colours - Tick I have been impressed time and time again by your ability to use large blocks of colours in such an interesting manner. I don’t know if this was your aim but the shape and turrets gave a standard battleship look, but the colours really complemented that well, reminded me a little of the Yamato (or Argo) from Starblazers.

Thanks again, I guess subconsciously I was influenced by the Yamato colour scheme.

I built a ship in a similar colour scheme that was also boxy and I have since scrapped it and redesigned, this has given me a few interesting ideas of where to take it.

Great! It makes me happy when people are inspired off of others work. Good luck with your spacecraft.

Not much I can criticize in this MOC. The only thing I can think of is the lack of greebling, but that would change what was so good about it.

I don’t like greebling a whole lot, to tell you the truth. However, I do think I could squeeze a bit of it in if I tried.

Mladen Pejic

Leg Godt

Travis Matheson