 Space / 33454
Re: Moonbase: Nailing down Moonway and Rail Standard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2004 06:55:56 GMT

Jon Palmer wrote:
What this also shows is that for this layout to work, space trains and moonway
vehicles should not be wider than 6 studs. (moon truck/tram width is a little
more complex than that, but you get the idea...and I'll get into how to make one
a little later).
Ouch. Please take into account that any train-like construction over a
certain (very short) length needs to be put on svivel (SP?) bases in
order to be kept on track. So even if then train car stays within 6
studs, a car of 24-32 studs length will propably cut into the racer roads.

I'm no trainhead, but there are diagrams showing how much clearence is
needed for the trains e.g. in curved tunnels or to place buildings, and
this side-by-side layout will not allow for sufficient space.

Besides, 6-wide just means that the cars body is 6 studs wide, handles,
clips, bars and other decorative stuff may still extend over this width
upto half a stud on each side.

And, there was a thread about space containers recently - most of which
are 8wide, anyway, and therefor would not fit.

I think that placing those kinds of tracks nearly on top of each other
is not a very good idea...

Yours, Christian