 Space / 33492
Re: Moonbase: Nailing down Moonway and Rail Standard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2004 18:57:01 GMT

In lugnet.space, Leonard Hoffman wrote:

   Lenny has proposed that the train track also be moved to the seam between baseplates. I see pros and cons to this, but I’m willing to consider it. But what this pic mainly shows is where the 2 track types will lay much of the time.

I haven’t tested this to see if it will actually work, but shortly after I made the proposal to you, I thought of a compromise.

Ok, if you take a curve piece and then put another curve piece opposing so that both sides outside of the curve were straight and parallel, it would move the track several studs to the right or left. like this.

Now, I think it would move the track four studs over - and if you used four curves (two in one direction, two opposed), it would be eight studs and therefore make the two styles compatible. Four stretches of track, if I’m correct, would be roughly equal to the length of one baseplate, ergo only requiring one baseplate of length to make the change.

Certainly something to test at BF04 - when I debut the Eastern Block Space-Train. that is, if i get off my keister and make it. heh.

-Lenny

Sadly, a double reverse curve will move the track centre 6.0896 studs over, and be 30.6146 studs long - not quite the solution you’re looking for :-) (I’ve spent ages calculating track geometry and I’m not the only one!)

Practically, you’d have to move the track out by 16 studs, or at least 8 if you added 1 straight to each side of a square layout, as long as you were prepared for the track joints not to align with the baseplate joints - but that’s probably where we started. If anyone makes half straights or quarter straights (8 per circuit on the layout) you could move the track by a smaller amount.

Alternatively, a different level might help. Will the specification of a space train permit track slopes of more than 2 plates per straight, or is that unrealistic in your scheme? Raise the train track above the race track by at least 2 bricks height and the overhang will be OK as long as the trains aren’t there together (interesting operation to keep them apart!). Raise further and as steep as 5 plates per straight if the spec allows it. You could have the space train acting like a big dipper through a crater!

Mark