 Space / 33582
Re: Moonbase: Nailing down Moonway and Rail Standard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2004 02:22:42 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jon Palmer wrote:
   Having short cars was one of the main ideas in the beginning, yeah.

It really makes sense as far as clearance goes, but all of the discussions on how to do a Moonbase-compatible container kept pushing to make it really long so they could serve double-duty as corridor modules, and using Space Train to haul them around.

   You might just have a good point there. It would be nice to raise the race-track but then we have to worry about running into monorail.

That’s going to be a problem regardless. Even running just two track systems, the only way to guarantee that it’s never a problem is to run one at ground-level and the other above the modules. And whichever gets run at ground-level gets the short end of the stick because many modules just aren’t built to accomodate track pass-thrus (1). If you add a third track system to a single layout, it’s going to be fighting at least one other track for right-of-way, but both Monorail and Moonway have the ability to do big inclines in a short distance, and both Monorail and Space Train have the ability to scoot under a standard corridor flange (Moonway could probably pull it off as well, if you put the cabin or battery box on a seperate car, but not when you’re running a single car).

If you really want to be able to run everything on a single layout with strict standards, I think overlapping pathways are going to be a necessity. In a large layout, there should be enough room to figure out a suitable multi-track arrangement that permits them to coexist, but probably not on the same baseplates. In a small layout, there’s probably not enough room to do more than one type without resorting to stacking them in layers. Just looking at the side-by-side setup you showed with Space Train and Moonway, that fairly well chews up the space that Monorail leaves for supporting a module. My suggestion is to set the standards independantly of each other, rather than trying to fit them all on the same baseplate. Let the local clubs decide which ones are more important for their displays. The alternatives are to develop anti-gravity bricks that will obviate the need for supports below a module at all, or force the need for large amounts of cross-over corridors that can be fully supported by their connection flanges.

BTW, one other odd problem I just realized with that neat side-by-side curve is that it falls apart when you hit any sort of S-curve scenario (2).

1. I’m designing the MichLUG layout for MCCC this weekend, and with only a scant handful of monorail-compatible modules to work with, I had to resort to running it down the gaps between them. It actually works quite well, and if done correctly it’s even compatible with the official track placement standards. It turns out that the standard exit ports are centered exactly 16 studs from the edge, so if you add two more short sections before heading into a curve, it ends up straddling the seam between two baseplates.

2. Moonway is perfectly sized to fit the inside of a Space Train curve, but try turning in the other direction and it’s the outside track. Curves of less than 90 degrees get even worse, since Space Train and Moonway run a 4/3-piece turn ratio. I think you either got lucky with the Monorail standard, in that whoever designed the track seems to have done a much better job of figuring out the optimum curve geometry than was done with 9v track.

Over the last couple months I have developed a profound respect for the advantages of doing a simple S-curve. Two monorail curves require 64-stud centers for parallel lines, but Moonbase is set to a 48-stud standard. Adding a small S-curve to the end of one of those curves brings it back to 48-stud centers, so both legs can be piped down the gap between modules, as long as you have enough open ground to pull off the loop. And it still has the ability to line up with the official standard pathways. Try as I might with Track Designer, I can’t get a 2-piece or 4-piece S-curve to line up nicely without resorting to use of at least one point.