 Space / 33479
Re: Moonbase: Nailing down Moonway and Rail Standard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2004 14:36:51 GMT

Jon Palmer wrote:
I've considered the train car length and see what you mean. The first idea was
just to keep the cars short, but I do see how that is fairly restrictive.
Yep. A train consisting of undecorated boxes of 6x12 studs max would be
a most exciting design, wouldn't it?

The basic problem here is what gives and takes on the Moonbase. We want the
added appeal that moving trains provide, but don't want to bend the Moonbase
standard around it too much, if at all. My thoughts from the start have been for
the 2 track types to take up as small a foot print on a module as possible.
Well, taking the basic track parameters into account, there will
propably be only one solution: It's either train track or race track on
any given plate and level. If I continue to build with Lego (which I
have not yet decided, although I stopped all purchases for the "next
big" MOC), I might resurrect my space factory again, an this time, I'll
include train tracks (It is easier for the automated crane to pick up
the containers from a train car that stopped at a certain point than to
drive an autonomous Space-Truck around and precisely back into the

I see your point, but still feel the convenience of them running close together
can't be ignored.

Honestly if this gets too complex I'm not afraid to just abandon train track
completely and go with only racetrack (moonway) and monorail. But I'd like to
have as much movement and life on a Moonbase as possible.
Just make it either-or on the plates and allow for both kinds of track
in the layout, as long as they don't clash. Crossings or even parallels
on different levels should be no problem, as should plates that have
train on one side ond race on the other (like a companies loading area,
or a central station (maybe even including monorain at this point...).

Just a few thoughts, Christian