 Space / 33595
Re: Moonbase: Nailing down Moonway and Rail Standard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 2004 02:45:06 GMT

"Jon Palmer" <jon@zemi.net> wrote in message news:HxH8C6.16I2@lugnet.com...
Let's hammer this out for good this week. I'd like to put it on the Moonbase
site soon.

We'll work on width first. Look at this bad pic:

<<http://www.zemi.net/iblog/track00.jpg>>

Lenny has proposed that the train track also be moved to the seam between
baseplates. I see pros and cons to this, but I'm willing to consider it.  But
what this pic mainly shows is where the 2 track types will lay much of the time.

Both track types are 8 wide. The train track is 4 studs from the edge. The race
track (moonway) is 12 away. Both tracks rest next to each other perfectly.

What this also shows is that for this layout to work, space trains and moonway
vehicles should not be wider than 6 studs. (moon truck/tram width is a little
more complex than that, but you get the idea...and I'll get into how to make one
a little later).

When we put together the PDX layout the biggest issue was clearance and tunnels.
This is why it's so important to have a maximum width for these vehicles. It
needs to be as easy as possible for module builders to make arches and tunnels
for this track.

So let's talk about it. After we work on this we'll get into vehicle height and
then hammer out the arch/tunnel measurements.

Why don't when we put these things together, just keep the train tracks away from the moonway tracks?  It's not often roads run
flush with rails IRL anyway.

--
Markham Carroll