 Space / 33547
Re: Moonbase: Nailing down Moonway and Rail Standard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 11 May 2004 15:49:42 GMT

In lugnet.space, David Laswell wrote:

   No matter how long I think of this, I just keep seeing a Moontruck clipping the side of a long ore-hauling car. Since December, I’ve always been thinking of Space Train as a bunch of short, single-bogey cars that stick to the curves really well, but if people are going to make full-length cars, they’re going to overhang the curve interiors quite a bit.

Having short cars was one of the main ideas in the beginning, yeah.

   Raise further and as steep as 5 plates per straight if the spec allows it. You could have the space train acting like a big dipper through a crater!

It’d probably make more sense to run the Moonway above the modules and the Space Train below them. Monorail is already perceived as being the standard people-mover, with Space Train being more cargo-oriented (and therefore more likely to be restricted to ground level), but Moontrucks also look like they’re going to require a lot more vertical clearance than Space Train, so running it over the corridor connections would address that issue as well.

You might just have a good point there. It would be nice to raise the race-track but then we have to worry about running into monorail.

   [ j o n ]
zemi.net
moonbase
myspace