 Space / 33750
Re: Moonbase: Nailing down Moonway and Rail Standard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 18 May 2004 00:15:10 GMT

In lugnet.space, Mike Walsh wrote:
Have any of the Moonbase folks tried using TrackDraw[1] for moonbase design
yet?

I don't have a copy of TrackDraw yet (I only recently downloaded Track
Designer), but I'm pretty sure it's less a problem with the design program and
more a problem with the actual track geometry.  The Monorail track was designed
with the ability to do both large and small S-curves that didn't require the use
of points, but could still line up correctly with studs on both ends.  9v track
and Racer track can do large S-curves, but the small ones look like they'll have
trouble matching up with the basic stud pattern, much less a standardized
Moonbase track pathway.

I don't know if all of the elements are available yet but quite few of them
certainly are.  I know that most of the baseplates are available now as
well.

I've designed tiles for every official basic baseplate that has been released in
light-grey, as well as the crater plate and the four basic landing plates (I
know there are at least two paint variations of the basic grey space landing
pad, but one design should suffice for all).  I then designed custom tiles for
every module used in the layout we just displayed this weekend.  I even fixed
the Monorail stanchions (noone ever progammed in 45 degree geometry for the
points and half-curves).  While I don't specifically object to the idea of
switching over to a new program, I'd need a good reason to do so, like more
accurate tile dimensions (a 16x16 item occupies a 15x15 space on a 17x17 tile,
with a 1-pixel overlap between adjacent tiles), the ability to program in more
than 4 ports per piece, or the ability to build custom tool-bars.