 Space / 2602
2601  |  2603
Subject:
Armstrong Page Update 06-20-2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 01:02:12 GMT

In lugnet.space, Tom McDonald writes:
Now that I've said that, I can throw another wrench in the machinery, and
please read this carefully, as I want everyone to realize the full potential
here: given a utility that can put custom drawings into .dat parts, we can do
any uniform scheme we want on a torso. Somewhere I downloaded a utility
written for Windows awhile back written by the LDraw wizards that changes a 16
color .bmp to a .dat part. I've made a number of custom uniforms thus far in
LDraw for myself, and one for Tim Courtney.

Two items

1) Pat J's name has been added to the appropriate areas.. yay! Thanks Pat!

2) I have made available for download BMP2DAT.ZIP, which contains the above-
mentioned utility. Self-admittedly, it's not very friendly, but it works for
me by using this method:

1) I make my uniform (or whatever) in Paintbrush first, using and saving only
with the 16-color palette. Switch to it first before you start.. it'll save
you some frustration later because the utility is DOS-based.
2) A torso's dimensions in Paintbrush are 40 x 32; yet remember that a torso
is trapezoidal, not rectangular. I should have included a template .bmp but I
didn't.. you'll figure it out, it's not difficult.
3) To open a .bmp in the converter, I just drag my .bmp onto bmp2dat.zip in
Explorer and the program opens with my .bmp loaded.
4) Do read the help that comes with it, as it does explain the color palette
switch, and the color you make invisible for the areas of the bitmap that are
not colored anything at all (I highly recommend the bright magenta color for
this).
5) I have yet to figure out how to name files with this thing, even after
reading the help; so it'll either name your file an 8 character DOS name based
on the filename it already has with its new .dat extension, or sometimes it
names it CARFRONT.DAT. You'll immediately want to make sure that the filename
is something you can use and figure out (so you don't lose it). I recommend an
8 char name so that those still using LEdit can have access to it.
6) Now that your .bmp is now .dat, move it or copy it into a folder where you
can have access to it in LDraw or MLCad, either in the parts or models folder.
It does not destroy/delete the original .bmp.

Questions? Concerns?

-Tom McD.