 Space / 2557
Re: Armstrong Space Project Charter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 22:27:58 GMT

In lugnet.space, Mark Nelson writes:
In lugnet.space, Tom McDonald writes:
**Mark N mentioned something about the station being armed, and there was no
objection (charter point number 3), so I included weapons. Perhaps they could
be on a module or two.

Correct. I am thinking of some sort of GDG (Global Defense Guns) that can
raise out of the roof of the Command Center. Personaly, I'm not the best at
building weaponry. I'll volunteer for the Medical/Sickbay.

I can make guns, etc. but I'm not volunteering unless someone who can do it
well won't volunteer (that is to say, we need another good designer to help
out :)  Where's Karim when you need him? :)

1) Randy W suggested we adopt a standard uniform. I would suggest something
that can be currently made from parts found in the LDraw parts library.
Perhaps various minifig designss can be posted to our webpages for review.

2) Tom M suggests that given the fact that some folks would want to build • this
or parts of this station in real life, only TLC stock colors should be used;
no LDraw fantasy colors, no painting or any kind of color changing or
enhancement, and no non-TLC decals or stickers (unless they exactly duplicate
official TLC decals or stickers).

I suggest, actualy, that we should only build it in Ldraw. Imagine, a picture
of one part attached to a raytrace of more of it. It would be fine by me if
they built it, but then made it in Ldraw.

Hmm.. yeah. You did propose this from the first. I don't have anything against
this idea. I'm not being wishy-washy either. I was merely exploring the 'what
if' someone wanted to build it... but give LDraw to anyone, and they can!

The advantage of 'LDraw only' is that anyone with LDraw has access to all the
same parts as everyone else. In this case, we could use LDraw fantasy colors
to no harm (just don't go overboard with them :).

The disadvantage is that accurately building it in real life might be
impossible. But we knew this going in. Since this started as an LDraw project,
I'll drop the notion of building it in real life at all. In fact, on a
different note, nothing built has to be structurally sound. It just has to
look good, right?

Another question: What colors should this spacestation be?

Definitely not beige. But since we've got the whole palette available to us,
we might be able to decide this later. Maybe someone will make a module
that'll suggest a good color scheme. Or we can vote. And BTW, the inside can
be different than outside, and I almost recommend that modules' insides differ
from one another in color. It makes for good variety.

3) Because he has a big mouth, Tom M also suggests the use of rarer parts be
limited. Should I want to build a section or the whole thing, I'd like to be
able to do it without having to wade through acres of auction webpages trying
to find a shirtload of 1x1 transparent red round bricks with fins or funky
black and green space windows found on the Alien Moon Stalker.

I agree with that. I hate trading/buying. Quite a hassle.

Overriding myself here: since this is an LDraw-only model, it won't matter one
bit. Bring on the 1x1 trans red round bricks with fins! In fact, make them
trans green!! :)

On a closing note, I'm starting a web page or six that displays the Armstrong
Charter and all the 'who and what' we've settled on for quick and easy
reference (cuz even I get confused). It doesn't hafta be the home for the
Station, unless the group decides it so. Currently, it's not graphics
intensive and has no jpg's, so it should load quickly.

Thoughts? Concerns?

-Tom McD.