 Space / 2520
2519  |  2521
Subject:
Armstrong Space Project Charter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 17 Jun 2000 00:20:34 GMT

In lugnet.space, Tom McDonald writes:

Charter for Station, codenamed Armstrong

1. Armstrong has its own calendar
2. The planet around which Armstrong orbits has no name
3. Armstrong has weapons
4. Armstrong has gravity
5. No faster-than-light travel permitted
6. No forcefields
7. Armstrong is 5 main parts: control center in the middle; medical, landing
bays, sleeping quarters, mess halls, science [lab], and power core; in a 6
pointed star shape
8. Each section of Armstrong has its own .mpd/.dat file to keep down rendering
time - we can certainly share :-)

Found a boo-boo.. Number 7 should be corrected to read:

7. Armstrong is 7 main parts: control center in the middle; medical, landing
bays, sleeping quarters, mess halls, science [lab], and power core; in a 6
pointed star shape.

VOLUNTEERS==========================

Also, here's a list of folks and what part they've volunteered to design:
1. Sleeping Quarters - Randy Williams
2. Mess Halls        - Randy Williams
3. Power Core        - Tom McDonald
4. Landing Bays      - Kyle Keppler ??
5. Science Lab       - Kyle Keppler ??
6. Medical/Sickbay   - ??
7. Command Center    - ?? *
8. Weapons           - ?? **

*Given my earlier post about this perhaps being the most visited room (at
least via webpage), should everyone have a hand in contributing to the design
of this room? I know I would like to.

**Mark N mentioned something about the station being armed, and there was no
objection (charter point number 3), so I included weapons. Perhaps they could
be on a module or two.

STATION DESIGN THUS FAR=============

According to previous discussion with no objections thus far, the station is
to have at least 7 rooms (see the Volunteers section above for description)
and be 3 levels. Science Lab is at the top, Command Center at the middle, and
Power Core at the bottom. It has not been discussed where the remaining 4
rooms would go. It has also not been discussed if Weapons should be its own
section perhaps as a module, and with armament placed in either one or various
locations.

I offer that it should be laid out like as per the following, using the number
assignments given from the Volunteers section above.

Fig 1) Top View, looking down

        ---> Clockwise with respect to floor

        [06]
    [01][05][04]
        [02]

Fig 2) Bottom view, looking up

        <--- Clockwise

        [06]
    [04][03][01]
        [02]

Weapons are not displayed. I haven't given that any thought yet.

NEW BUSINESS==================

1) Randy W suggested we adopt a standard uniform. I would suggest something
that can be currently made from parts found in the LDraw parts library.
Perhaps various minifig designss can be posted to our webpages for review.

2) Tom M suggests that given the fact that some folks would want to build this
or parts of this station in real life, only TLC stock colors should be used;
no LDraw fantasy colors, no painting or any kind of color changing or
enhancement, and no non-TLC decals or stickers (unless they exactly duplicate
official TLC decals or stickers).

3) Because he has a big mouth, Tom M also suggests the use of rarer parts be
limited. Should I want to build a section or the whole thing, I'd like to be
able to do it without having to wade through acres of auction webpages trying
to find a shirtload of 1x1 transparent red round bricks with fins or funky
black and green space windows found on the Alien Moon Stalker.

More thoughts? Objections?

-Tom McD.