 Space / 2517
Re: Space Stations... (and Space Relations)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 20:13:30 GMT

In lugnet.space, Stephen F. Roberts writes:
"Tom McDonald" <radiotitan@yanospamhoo.com> wrote:

...When I write stuff, I try not to even mention Earth, and never mention a • date or even
locations in earth relative terms (usually something like CY 79 for Colony • Year 79). This
has a couple handy effects: 1 - I'm never wrong! don't you love seeing old • Star Trek shows
where they refer to things that happened in the last 90s? :-)

Yeah.. where is Khan anyway? :-)

and 2 - I'm much more free
to make up tech and the like. I have one universe where electricity was never • discovered
and/or its impossible to harness... makes for fun tech.

...I like writing about places using strange years and location codes as if • they were
perfectly normal. It makes the reader stop trying to fit it into his view of • the future so
he can better fit into mine.

...but YMMV....

I like your idea, so maybe we'll share some mileage. You've expressed yourself
quite well, and I think those that are talking about this sound likely to
adopt this idea as well. It certainly makes it much easier for any group to
start.

...you can go back to ignoring me now...

I ain't ignoring this.. it's perfectly valid, and probly something we should
adopt, or something very close to it. But I vote we keep electricity :-)

So far, gathering what's been said, I'll try and recap the suggestions. This
is not set in stone or finished of course. I'll give "us" a codename so if
other groups pop up, we can distinguish amongst them. And of course the
codename is not the name of the station or this particular universe unless the
group desires it. All rules can of course be ammended by the group at large.
Here are the "rules" in no particular order:

Charter for Station, codenamed Armstrong

1. Armstrong has its own calendar
2. The planet around which Armstrong orbits has no name
3. Armstrong has weapons
4. Armstrong has gravity
5. No faster-than-light travel permitted
6. No forcefields
7. Armstrong is 5 main parts: control center in the middle; medical, landing
bays, sleeping quarters, mess halls, science [lab], and power core; in a 6
pointed star shape
8. Each section of Armstrong has its own .mpd/.dat file to keep down rendering
time - we can certainly share :-)

How's that so far? Did I leave out or change anything?

-Tom McD.