 Space / 2502
Re: Space Stations... (and Space Relations)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 21:37:16 GMT

In lugnet.space, Mark Nelson writes:
Hello, all.

Do you remember that old thread that was going a while ago about making a
giant Ldraw spacestation? Who thinks we should revive this? We can decide on a
name and a postition in space later, I say! Lets just build it, and then worry
about such things. Hey, it's Lego! Stuff doesn't have to be realistic! :)

I remember it well. The thing that I remember most about why it died was the
fact that we basically couldn't agree on what sort of technology could be
used. For example, some folks don't use forcefields or FTL propulsion. I
believe even a question as basic as, Is there gravity on the station? was
never answered either. There was also the basic question of how far in the
future it was.

Also, some people wanted to stick to certain standards throughout the station
(for better or for worse) and that didn't sit well with everyone.

Because everyone's idea of the future was slightly different, so were
everyone's ideas, good, bad, or indifferent. There's such a wide range of
possibility: some people like spartan comfort, others like lavish accessories.
Some want a bit more fantasy in their future, while others are deathly
practical. And while it's true that a really big station could theoretically
accomodate both lifestyles, we never got that far.

What might be in order is for like-minded folks to get together and virtually
meet in smaller groups and have each group hash out make a station (or even a
universe) that fits a common paradigm. Later on, if timelines and universes
collide, stations can mate/merge temporarily or permanently.

And just for fun, no one person needs to be limited to just one group if they
didn't want to be. That is, for example, if I wanted to join a 'Star Trek'
type of future group, I could.. but I could also join a group that's
technologically just a mere 50 years ahead of our actual future, as long as I
play nicely in both groups.

Should this really take off, I don't see why Todd couldn't create .space
subgroups where the various groups could focus their chats.

Other thoughts?

-Tom McD.
when replying, The Wonders of Spamcake.. A Special NOVA Presentation, coming
this summer!