 Space / 2506
Re: Space Stations... (and Space Relations)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 02:59:20 GMT

I remember it well. The thing that I remember most about why it died was the
fact that we basically couldn't agree on what sort of technology could be
used. For example, some folks don't use forcefields or FTL propulsion. I
believe even a question as basic as, Is there gravity on the station? was
never answered either. There was also the basic question of how far in the
future it was.

Well, I'm thinking that it is just in orbit around a planet, so it doesn't
need propulsion, and that it does have gravity. And how far in the future? Why
does it matter? :) As I said, this is Lego, it doesn't have to be realistic!
:) Also, why use forcefeilds? This thing could be armed with Global Defence
Cannons that pop out of the roof! ;)

Also, some people wanted to stick to certain standards throughout the station
(for better or for worse) and that didn't sit well with everyone.

Yes, unfortunatly. :\

Because everyone's idea of the future was slightly different, so were
everyone's ideas, good, bad, or indifferent. There's such a wide range of
possibility: some people like spartan comfort, others like lavish accessories.
Some want a bit more fantasy in their future, while others are deathly
practical. And while it's true that a really big station could theoretically
accomodate both lifestyles, we never got that far.

Yep, what I'm thinking that all we have to do is make the outside, and we can
fill in the details later. Hehehe! That reciently posted head would be
something nice for the mess halls. :)

What might be in order is for like-minded folks to get together and virtually
meet in smaller groups and have each group hash out make a station (or even a
universe) that fits a common paradigm. Later on, if timelines and universes
collide, stations can mate/merge temporarily or permanently.

Yep. That would be a nice idea. How about something like each type of people
makes a differant part of the station? Who cares how huge this is? :)

And just for fun, no one person needs to be limited to just one group if they
didn't want to be. That is, for example, if I wanted to join a 'Star Trek'
type of future group, I could.. but I could also join a group that's
technologically just a mere 50 years ahead of our actual future, as long as I
play nicely in both groups.

Yep. I agree. Personaly, my view of the future has to do with antimatter
drives, going almost lightspeed from planet to planet. Hey, those LCC'ens. :)

Should this really take off, I don't see why Todd couldn't create .space
subgroups where the various groups could focus their chats.

That would decidedly rock. :)

--
Mark Nelson
Speedy's Lego Page: http://www.pressenter.com/~3nelsons/lego/