 Space / 15300
Re: New Santa Fe Car Sets #10022 and #10025
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 01:30:27 GMT

Compare this
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/7315
with this
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/497
Counting inflation in the price, too.
I think the latter has more building possibilities.

Well, so do I, but I think you have to compare like with like!

7315 (LOM) Solar Explorer has 242 pieces, 3 figures and was released in 2001
at US$35. It has a rating of 63 by LUGnet users.

497 (Space) Galaxy Explorer has 325 elements, 4 figures and was released in
1979 at US$32. It has a rating of 96 by LUGnet.

Now, I am not familiar with inflation rates in the USA, but in Australia,
inflation between 1979 and 2000 (I don't have the data for 2001) was 298%.
That is, things costs about 3 times as much in 2000 as they did in 1979.

So it's hardly a fair comparison!

Personally I agree with you that LOM was not a great theme for reusability,
but if you are serious about comparing current sets with past sets like the
Galaxy Explorer, I think some of the Star Wars sets would be a better
comparison. There are a lot of good re-usable (both for Space and non-Space)
parts in sets like the Sith Infiltrator, the X-Wing, the MTT Trade
Federation.

One of the benefits of age is that you can look back and remember that the
good ol' days weren't as fanastic as everyone seems to like to think.

Kerry