 Space / 15283
Re: New Santa Fe Car Sets #10022 and #10025
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 06:04:42 GMT

"Aaron West" <blacktron@earthlink.net> wrote in message
<much clippage>
I would just like to be able to purchase new Bricks, Minifigures, Sets,
Accessories, Parts In General from TLC rather than going to secondary
sources, auctions, garage sales, or donation stores... • <a little more clippage>
-Aaron-

It's difficult to ask for a return to the old ways because, like you said, a
lot of the technology the old space sets represented has been left behind.
Personally, I would like to see cars with tail fins make a comeback, but I
guess we can't bring back the 50's because it's not the 50's anymore.

However, you got me thinking with this coment.  What ever happened to the
old BASIC building sets.  Just a lot of bricks and plates, some slopes and
glass, and a few detail pieces.  This is one idea that changing times should
not be able to obsolete, but for some reason they have.

Life on Mars (and this is only an example--insert your favorite modern them
here) is a cool theme - good colors, interesting pieces, but it has a major
problem.  It is very difficult for someone to make a LoM MOC without owning
many, many LoM sets.  They're rather incompatible with the other sets due to
the new colors and new pieces, as well as just the general style of the
theme.

I would like to see a Life On Mars (or again, insert your favorite modern
theme here) BASIC set - a large kit of LoM pieces, but not a specific model;
just parts made with that theme in mind (LoM colors, some of the modern LoM
pieces, but mostly 'universal' pieces like plain old plates and bricks).
They could come with an instruction book with 8 - 10 model ideas just like
the old BASIC sets, but that wouldn't really be necessary.

I have never actually seen the elusive 'starwars bucket' (I doubt they
actually exist...  ;) but this is definitely the right idea.  Retro
buckets - now that would be cool!  An M:Tron bucket, or a BT1 bucket...  the
possiblilities are endless!  Put some cool pictures of the possibilities on
the outside, and they would definitely sell.  Most importantly, they would
sell to anyone, not just us lugnet'rs.

            -- Tom