 Castle / 13627
Re: New Santa Fe Car Sets #10022 and #10025
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates, lugnet.space, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 04:59:32 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.castle, John Neal writes:
In lugnet.trains, Aaron West writes:

Can I have a job at LEGO Direct so I can get more CASTLE, PIRATES and SPACE
themes added to with more re-issues and new designs!?!???

Say again?  Aaron, check out Harry Potter-- that *is* a castle theme with a
least a dozen new sets in the past few years, as is Star Wars a *Space* theme
with dozens of sets, and that's not even counting LoM.  What more do you want??

I'm not really sure of the demand for Pirates-- I know I'd like more town/train
than that theme.

-John

Why don't you have some fun and check out the Brickshelf Libary on LEGO
product cataloges since about 1978 up to about 1998 and then let us know if
you can see the set defernces in what a CASTLE set is (or was), or SPACE or
PIRATE.  And they don't use paper roofs either.  Here's the link:

http://library.brickshelf.com/scans/

My complaint is not that there is not enough TOWN or TRAIN, those are
getting the royal treatment, while the rest of the basic bread and butter
sets stink for part selection or model design.  Potter is good for one
thing, parts, as I've said.  I have so much Harry Potter LEGO that I'm soon
to become a reigning expert thanks to last X-Mas' Wal-Mart clearance in
which I cleaned out four stores complete selections (No they are not ALL
entered in my LUGNET set lists.).  Lord knows that I've got tons of Potter
and Star Wars just for parts.  But I am approaching a gazillion useless
minifigures of Ron, Harry and Hermony just piling away in my bins.  More
broad base mini-figures would be nice, as well as horses, REAL bricks
(Castle walls are ugly if they are all pre-fab.), accessory parts, etc.
STUDIOS Monsters is also good for parts in the same way as Potter, yet again
no provision for usefull characters beyond the first few Vile Creatures Of
The Night.

PIRATE stuff also encompasses the good ol' Imperial Guards and Soldiers
line, GREAT stuff for Revolutionary period stuff or her Majesty's Royal
Town/Train Guard if you want to update to your TRAIN selections.  I cannot
begin to overstate the cool and fun factor of the whole PIRATE line, or the
kids/teens/adults I bump into that go ga-ga over that stuff from 1989
through 1996.  It also fit very well into the old CASTLE theme for expansion.

SPACE may never return in the way that SPACE sets were, simply because the
technology that it represented has moved on.  Heck, even Disneyland got rid
of most of it's Space theme in Tomorrowland!  But we dinosaurs can wish.

But, using LEGO as an exploration of structures, history, fantasy and
science fiction is one of the things that most boys and girls talk about
when discussing the virtue of the Brick with me (I've had many conversations
on this subject.).  I like many things that LEGO does, but some of their
product is too narrow in design, like GALIDOR.  This limits the creativity
of the child (or inner child).  My son, for example, we buy a CREATOR
bucket, and he builds it to death and wants me to get a new one every time
we got to TARGET, while the GALIDOR sets leave him to tell me when I ask
about them, "I don't know how to play with it."  He is a builder, an
explorer.  He needs a toy with infinite possibilties.  That should be LEGO.
So instead he wants Rokenback (sp?) and K'NEX!  Those LEGO TRAINS are nice,
but they are not in the impulse puchase section of your average Wal-Mart,
only the S@H catalog.  He's got tons of those for a five year old.

I just spent $140 + change on Bricklink (I know, it's not that much) just on
minifigures to make knights from for my Castles. Up to a few months ago I
could have gone to any given store to do that.  Not any more.  Normally we
pop a set or two into the shopping basket whenever we go out, but more
frequently I pass them up saying, "What's the point, nothing to build with
in those."

I would just like to be able to purchase new Bricks, Minifigures, Sets,
Accessories, Parts In General from TLC rather than going to secondary
sources, auctions, garage sales, or donation stores.  Most of the time you
cannot be sure of the quality or condition of the item.  Outside Licensing
has taken over TLC it would seem, with a hint of creativity popping out here
and there.  If that Black Falcon's Fortress, the Black Seas Barracuda or/and
Blacktron Battraxx  makes it to LEGEND status and get reproduced, that will
be a good thing.  New designs to look forward to would be better.  More
treatment of LEGO's core themes is what I wish for.  It may only be a wish,
but LEGO is the only toy company that responds to it's fans pipe-dreams that
I can think of.  So there is hope as long as there is Brick.  Twenty years
of any toy continously is not something to walk away from.

I have one fear, and GALIDOR is it's name.  That will kill LEGO.
-Aaron-