 Space / 14174
Re: A bad taste picture (Re: Space Rocks!!!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 10 May 2002 23:24:31 GMT

In lugnet.space, Damien Guichard writes:
I am also a classic-space fan.
Ok, space rocks.

Unfortunately, I am not glad to tell you I do not really appreciate your new
site:

www.classic-space.com

Castle fans deserve more respect.
What's the need to crash one favorite castle set?

You start the wrong way.
Lego hobby is constructive, not destructive.
So your attitude is not what I expect from a lego user community.
Please remove that and restart your site on a more contructive basis.

Regards,

Damien
http://brickcaster.multimania.com

   Damien,

   You may find it "distasteful," but actually I found it rather funny.
   I think everyone involved in the "space vs. castle" debate realizes
   that it's tongue-in-cheek (as evidenced by the fact that the only
   real line of reasoning is "Castle!" "Space!" "Castle!" "Space!" and
   the website even indicates that with its "Castle. Bad." line.  In a
   way, they're picking on themselves too.  Were it a profanity-laced
   hateful diatribe or an attack on people involved with .castle,
   then I'd agree with you.  This, however, is harmless and (I think)
   quite creative and constructive an expression.  (After all, a smashed
   LEGO Castle can be rebuilt, bigger and better!)

   So my recommendation is to lighten up.  Nobody here is suggesting
   that castle seriously be done away with; a lot of .spaceheads are
   .castleheads too.  In short, a sense of humor and an appreciation
   of the nuances of this particular gag (which may be harder if your
   primary language is *not* English) will carry you much farther than
   this indignation that in fact propagates the very problem it claims
   to decry.

   best

   LFB (mellowed with those 31 years of clean livin'.)

   PS: How did this thread become about Chris's website and not the
       original topic's picture?