 Space / 13467
13466  |  13468
Subject:
legends space set, my thoughts as to the reasoning based on what brad has said
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 05:28:39 GMT

Fact: pretty much all of legos customer base (even that subset that uses
shop @ home), includng myself and most other lugnet readers, has a
limited lego budget. (for some its larger than others but its still limited)

So, they will only have X to spend on "spaceships".
Because of the cost for the license, the popularity of the line, the
fact that EPII is due out soon and so on, TLC would like you to spend
100% of that X amount on starwars sets.
(remember that most lego customers wont say "I cant get the space stuff
I want & I dont want the starwars so I will go visit bricklink" or whatever)
If lego direct was to release a space legend (a 928 or a 6973 or
anything at all), some money that would have been spent on starwars now
wont be (since it will be spend on legends instead).
Also, some money that would have been spent on the space legend in the
absence of starwars will not be (since its being spent on starwars).

So, a space legend while starwars is out means less people buy starwars
(which is bad for TLC for obvious reasons) plus less people buy the
space legend.

Still, I dont really care, I can always get my space parts and sets
through the secondary market and lego probobly wont get any of my money
at all (thanks to the liberal use of those awful curved bricks and jack
stone parts in all the eps2 starwars)